Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Upgraded to 6.1 - Success

Post by evander » 2 people like this post

Hey - I dont have a problem to report but rather just a note to say I upgraded to version 6.1 yesterday and everything works like a dream. I have a pretty standard setup but was glad to see there were no problems. Thanks guys!
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: Upgraded to 6.1 - Success

Post by Sethbartlett »

Awesome! Thanks for the words.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
itdirector
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: friedman

Post by itdirector » 2 people like this post

Upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 yesterday (Enterprise manager first, then B&R); no issues. Existing Backup & replication jobs ran fine ( a bit faster); although memory usage during transform is still the same as version 6 (maxes out the 12GB's of RAM on the B&R VM doing the transform).

But again, very smooth upgrade & we like the new interface; thx
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No changes are expected around memory usage during transform with 6.1, it is normal for Windows to use all unoccupied physical memory for the system I/O cache.
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB » 2 people like this post

Me too, I just upgraded from 5.0.2 to 6.1 and it couldn't have been simpler. All my jobs transferred and ran the same night without a change (except they ran faster).

Veeam makes some great software.
dmxmjones
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by dmxmjones » 1 person likes this post

Just upgraded today to 6.1 without any issue myself.

My only comment would be that I find the new interface to look a little... empty.

Where I had all of my menus on the left and could find everything I wanted in a single click, I now have to go digging through the various menus in the bottom
left to find things that used to be on the surface.

I understand that the ribbon layout may be where Microsoft is headed, but I personally feel that it is inefficient for expert users and IT staff.

Still a great product, best backup software out there, I just find myself a little irritated at that change since it seems unnecessary.

Thanks guys!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Well, the truth is - we never make unnecessary changes, especially when they affect user experience. This change was absolutely essential, since we need more space in UI for what is coming in the next release. Knowing what is coming, it was obvious for us that there is no more real estate in the existing management tree to keep adding new functionality, as it was already overwhelmed with nodes. It is fine that the tree feels a little "empty" right now - as explained in the What's New, this was done in preparation of the next major releases where we are going to be adding lots of new functionality.

Also, while designing this new UI, we have tried to make sure that 100% of daily needs of backup and restores operations can be fulfilled within the default (Backup & Replication) view of the management tree. Only one-time or rarely used stuff were moved to other sub-trees (such as backup infrastructure setup). If you feel that some commonly performed tasks are missing from the Backup & Replication sub-tree, please do let me know, and we can enhance this sub-tree further. The current design is not set in stone, and is subject to further enhancements based on the feedback!
JasonJoel
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Bottjen

Post by JasonJoel » 2 people like this post

I REALLY like the new interface.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Gostev wrote:No changes are expected around memory usage during transform with 6.1, it is normal for Windows to use all unoccupied physical memory for the system I/O cache.
This can be controlled with the Windows Dynamic Cache service, for Win2k8 anyway.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic » 1 person likes this post

Just tested everything in our Testlab and we are going to deploy it in production next week. Love the new GUI and VeeamZip is awesome for archiving VMs. Exactly what we needed :D

Just a little question regarding VeeamZip:
Is a VeeamZip job tracked anywhere else then in the history of the corresponding Veeam server? Would be nice to see it in Enterprise Manager too.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Cokovic wrote:Just a little question regarding VeeamZip:
Is a VeeamZip job tracked anywhere else then in the history of the corresponding Veeam server? Would be nice to see it in Enterprise Manager too.
Thanks for the feedback. VeeamZIP jobs cannot be tracked in Enterprise Manager. But you can still see them under the 'History' node (and they are also temporarily available under 'Last 24 hours' node).
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Post by chadtandy »

Half way through upgrade process and so far so good. My only complaint is I just finished up a bunch of restore documentation, now I need new screenshots...

-Chad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, all wizards remained the same as before, so hopefully your documentation will require very little updates.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

chadtandy wrote:Half way through upgrade process and so far so good. My only complaint is I just finished up a bunch of restore documentation, now I need new screenshots...

-Chad
You are not alone. Have to redo them too :wink:
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Post by chadtandy »

Gostev wrote:Actually, all wizards remained the same as before, so hopefully your documentation will require very little updates.
Yeah, shouldn't be too bad, I just hate doing documentation...

-Chad