Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
roadking
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robert Martin

Scheduled jobs not starting

Post by roadking » 1 person likes this post

Veeam Backup and Recovery - version 6.1 just upgraded. Running on Vmware to CIFS share backup repository.

First of all - LOVE it. Works much better than 6.0 and faster too in a lot of ways. Love the new interface too . Great job Veeam guys!

Question - lately - I've noticed that some scheduled jobs just fail to start all together with nothing in the logs to tell me why. This usually occurs after a job before it fails.

Is that something that anyone else has run into? Since I am a small shop with not a lot of jobs running, I can just run the job that was scheduled and then the next job starts. Until something fails then the job after that fails to start.

interesting problem and just thought I'd ask before opening a case.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Scheduled jobs not starting

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's always better to contact our support team with any technical issue, as it's almost impossible to help without seeing full debug logs files. Please contact our support team and include your support case ID. Thanks!
roadking
Enthusiast

Post by roadking »

Just opened a case on this -- [ID#5199826] scheduled job fail to start -- I'm told that this is a known issue and I am running this as the new upgrade. I have yet to hear what the solution is. I'm wondering if there is a patch for this?

Hello,

What is the version and build of veeam that you are running on?
We do have a known issue with scheduling on version 6.1.0.181.

Thanks,
Veeam Support
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I am not aware of any known issues, at least they have never been reported before on the forum with thousands of people having upgraded to 6.1 by now. Please continue working with our support team as it's hard to say what issue you have without looking into debug logs. If there is a hotfix available that can help you, you will be immediately notified by our support engineers, as it is in their best interest to resolve and close the support case.
roadking
Enthusiast

Post by roadking »

I sent all the logs to them and they sent a patch for 64BT windows. I'll apply this and update the post with the results.

Veeam support RULES!!

Thanks for the quick update folks!
rpop
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: rpveeam

Post by rpop »

Hello same problem for me, what about patch !

Thanks

Dani
Best regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dani, please contact our support team to receive the hotfix.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Yes I had the same issue, got the patch from support and now all is working fine

Marco
JoshF
Enthusiast
Full Name: Josh

Post by JoshF »

Is there an ETA for this fix becoming part of a GA patch for 6.1? (i.e. Publicly downloadable, updated Veeam version number, etc)? :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Again, there is no reason to wait for the patch. Our support has a hotfix for this issue available. The scope of this issue is really small, basically you HAVE to exceed your licensed amount of sockets before your run into this issue.

We discussed with support yesterday, and they literally do not want a patch at this time - because none of few 6.1 issue gives them any troubles... number of support cases is at all-time low since 6.0 release (despite downloads skyrocketing). So, they prefer to wait to collect more issues before the patch.
JoshF
Enthusiast
Full Name: Josh

Post by JoshF »

All of the incidents we've had from upgrading to 6.0 mean that the business won't rapidly move to anything before a couple of these GA patches have been released. Changing the GUI and having to re-do a serious amount of documentation remains a sticking point with them too..

You guys may want to note at my workplace currently, if it is broken, it is said to have been 'Veeamed'. :(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That is strange experience. Must be bad luck, because statistics cannot lie - and our current support load after 6.1 release is all-time low for the past year, as I explained in the previous post - specifically because of how stable 6.1 release is. Even this specific issue discussed here is, quite frankly, not even a bug - but the result of you exceeding the licensed socket count. And the "fix" we've made is all about reducing license enforcement, to make sure your existing jobs can continue to run even after you exceed the license usage accidentally.
samtaylor
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam Taylor

Post by samtaylor »

@JoshF - I completely agree - we seem to be getting multiple issues every time we upgrade.
zciklacekic
Novice
Full Name: Zafer CIKLACEKIC

Post by zciklacekic »

Gostev I don't believe it's bad luck. I've upgraded Veeam B&R on 4 of my customers. All have the same issue. (So do I) So why is this patch is not a public one? Do you want them to force to buy subscription& support? If so this is a good way to earn money but bad way to lose customers. We have some concerns about veeams future strategy. These types of hotfixes should be send to partners that they will be aware of the issue and the solution I believe.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

Zafer, we do not force anyone to buy a subscription, moreover, we do provide support for users on the official evaluation period and those who use free versions of our products. All of the hotfixes are available to everyone through our support team just after they are released. The reason for not issuing a separate patch for this fix is thoroughly explained here, it's just impossible to release every minor fix as a separate patch. Thanks!
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Post by chimera »

Client logged a ticket for this a couple days ago, referring to my email address to send the patch. I have heard NOTHING. They have had no backups for a week now. How do we escalate this????
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could you please tell me your support ticket number I will let our support management know about it. Also you may want to use our support customer portal to request a call-back from our support manager.
chimera
Enthusiast

Post by chimera »

just asked my client to request an update. as noted in the request, correspondance must come back by email to me, not the client
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As far as I can see from your ticket status, our support engineer has sent the corresponding hotfix to Colleen within 10 minutes after opening a support case. Looks like this email was lost in the spam folder of his inbox.
chimera
Enthusiast

Post by chimera »

As per the case logged, Colleen requested that the email with hotfix be addressed to me (we're an I.T. integrator, who look after their environment). Can you request this is resent to me, as per the case that was logged. Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Done ;)
roadking
Enthusiast

Post by roadking »

Hi there -- OP here --

Just for the record Gostev -- when you say "The scope of this issue is really small, basically you HAVE to exceed your licensed amount of sockets before your run into this issue." I can assure you that we had not exceeded our license count before running into this problem. While I can't actually say (as I don't honestly know) when this began, but it was directly after upgrading to 6.1 from 6.0 and the license count (socket count) never was breached. In fact - due to an ordering mistake on our part, we have a single CPU license that always is not in use.

It has been working for us now flawlessly after the patch though. Thanks very much to the support team for addressing that for us in a timely manner.
chimera
Enthusiast

Post by chimera »

I concur. I would also expect to have seen this listed as a "known issue" (regardless of whether its minor or not) in Gostev's "Known Issues" for 6.1 post at the top of this forum. That would probably save a few new posts or replies to this and/or save us from searching the forums or FAQ as to why jobs weren't running. Anyways, it seems that our spam filtering device believes its more clever than humans and blocked the patch email... you just gotta love the small things that create pain in I.T. these days... thanks Veeam for your patience in getting this sorted
aporter
Influencer
Full Name: Andrew Porter

Post by aporter »

I ran into this issue a few weeks ago but didn't know there was a fix until this thread popped up in the weekly highlights. I had just thought it was odd that jobs were sometimes not running, but had not taken the time to investigate why yet. Glad to know there is a fix, opening my support ticket now...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

zciklacekic wrote:So why is this patch is not a public one?
Hotfixes are always private (to limit the scope, as they receive limited testing for the purpose of fast release). Once we have collected a number of hotfixes, validated them on some affected customers, and support tells us they need a patch because support load is too high on some specific issues existing hotfixes are addressing, we release the patch. We are trying to release patches as rare as possible, as no one likes to upgrade too often due to all the validation/upgrade testing required.

However, patches are always public - they contain all hotfixes to date, and pass full QC cycle (takes a few weeks) to make sure there is no unforeseen collateral damage on some product functionality due to specific hotfix, or due to how those multiple hotfixes the patch consists of play together. This is what allows to make them publicly available (remember, anything we make public goes to over 40'000 customers - we have to be 200% sure before we can make anything public).
zciklacekic wrote:Do you want them to force to buy subscription& support?
No, absolutely not. I guess you are missing the fact that customers without active subscription have simply no rights to upgrade to the new versions anyway. Everyone who upgrades to the new version HAS to have active subscription to be able to upgrade, meaning they can reach out to our support and get any hotfix they need for the new version.
nurbi76
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: nick

Post by nurbi76 »

Hi,
I found this thread after having a similar problem with our datacenter.
I'm working for an installation of veeam 6.1 by my customer in trial mode, waiting for the order and then for the license. VMware infrastructure have 23 esx hosts dual core in vsphere 4.1, 3 san storage (xp20000 and cx3-80) and trial license is enough only for 16 hosts.
I prepared several jobs and tested it. Now, after few days working, scheduler doesn't work anymore. We are waiting for license but we need at this time to continue to backup datas. Could you help me with a fix that permit the scheduler to work? trial license is started about 1 week ago.
Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Nick, please contact our support team directly to get the hotfix.
nurbi76
Veeam ProPartner

Post by nurbi76 »

done, thank you
nurbi76
Veeam ProPartner

Post by nurbi76 »

Support team send me ftp link to download fix of veeambackupservice. once applied veeam scheduler works again :P
Thank you all,

bye , nick