Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Failover Options

Post by Rumple »

One of the things I would like to see in the wizard for the failover of the replica is to give us the option of NOT powering on the replica.
In my case I have lots of VM's that are powered off. While I want a replica of them I don't want them powered up on the destination, but remain in the powered off state.
Can yu put in an option that we can uncheck power on when gonig through the failover wizard.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Failover Options

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,
Rumple wrote:In my case I have lots of VM's that are powered off. While I want a replica of them I don't want them powered up on the destination, but remain in the powered off state.
I'm a bit lost with your description here...when you click "failover" to the replicated VM, it implies that your source production VM is down and you want to route all the traffic to the replicated VM, right? In this case why would you want to failover to the powered off VM?

Thanks!
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

Not always...in some cases we have some VM's that are not always powered on (for instance a Test server). We do however have them replicated because they want them on the DR side (and sometimes bring them up in the isolated environment on the DR side for testing) however when I do a failiver for testing it powers them on immediately when I am really just staging things and before other components are ready for testing.

The replication and failvoer is actually great for migrating from one physical server to another but doesn't mean I want them powered on.
When performing a failover in the console (even temporarily) it would be nice if there was a checkbox that was defeaulted to power on, but we could uncheck to failover but leave the destination powered off (so we can control that ourselves)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

But If you do not want this VM to be powered on, why would you want to push a failover button at all? The failover operation just powers on the replicated VM at the selected restore point, nothing more. You can always click failover button after all other components are ready.

Hope this makes sense!