Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fdizone
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matthew Shull

File cannot be accessed by the system

Post by fdizone »

I am getting Veeam setup and configured, and I am testing file level restores. I have vSphere 4, and when I try to restore some files from my file server, I get "The file cannot be accessed by the system." However, it seems to only be on my file shares. The rest of the server, I can access the file just fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: File cannot be accessed by the system

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matthew,

Are you trying to access file shares that are hosted on this server? Does the user account initiated a FLR operation have access to these shares?

Thanks!
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

The server, filesvr01, has 4 folders on the D: drive that are shared out for users to use. I am trying to do a FLR on those folders. I am logged into the Veeam server as administrator, and the backup runs with administrator user. There should be no difference between these folders and the rest.

I also don't understand why the C and D drives in Veeam do not match the actual drives on the server. The C drive in Veeam only has Boot and System Volume Info folders, and the D drive shows Windows OS folders. That is not at all like the actual server.I also noticed that not all the data is there.

This server did have DFS setup, but is currently disabled. Would this mess stuff up? I notice the shares I am after are under a folder "DFSRoots", but they are not that way on the server.
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

Ok, looked at some more. Veeam didn't copy my D: drive at all. And Veeam shows my C: as D: drive, and I have no idea what Veeam is showing for the C: drive. Consider me confused.
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

There is nothing in my backup job excluding the D: drive. :?:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

fdizone wrote:I also don't understand why the C and D drives in Veeam do not match the actual drives on the server.
There is an existing topic regarding this behavior, please look it through: C drive backup up to D in the recovery

Ok, so you didn't exclude D drive from the backup job, right? What is the type of the disk you're trying to restore files from?
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

I did not exclude anything, and the c: in Veeam seems to be showing the hidden Windows files referenced in your link. I'll see if I can hunt that release note down. I'm not sure of your last question. We have a SAN that the VMs are on, and the backup server is just SCSI drives.
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

Also note, I am using Veeam 6.1.
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

So it's a known issue...I found that in the release notes. But no fix?
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

The problem is, I don't see anything from my D drive at all. However, I know it's backing it up because of the size of the backup. 800+ GB. So where are my files!?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please verify that the file server disk meets the following requirements. Also try using "Other OS" file level restore wizard to see if it resolves your issue or not.
fdizone
Enthusiast

Post by fdizone »

Ah, thank you! Found the problem. For some reason the D drive is a spanned volume (thus dynamic). Guess I better get that fixed.
skrbnik
Novice
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: skrbnik

Post by skrbnik » 2 people like this post

Hello,

we have recently run into similar situation, where we were unable to Restore Guest files (Windows) and were getting same error.

In our case the problem was that we were trying to restore files from deduplicated volumes and our Veeam Backup Server did not have the Role installed. After installing it we were good to go ;)

Ref.:
http://arstechnica.com/civis//viewtopic.php?t=1250679