Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
fhuber
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Florian Huber

Free Edition Empty Performance Graphs

Post by fhuber »

I'm evaluating the new Free Edition (4.0.0.144), have connected some ESXi 3.5&4.0 but none of them shows any performance data. I can only see the summary and use the console of any VM. Is it a configuration issue? As far as I get to know from the user guide there is only a limitation to 24 hours in free edition. Can anybody help?

Regards,
Florian
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Re: Free Edition Empty Performance Graphs

Post by ssimakov »

Florian, it is hard to say what is wrong based on this information. You may find some clues on the cause in the logs found in Help->About or send the logs to support@veeam.com for investigation.
ssimakov
Veeam Software

Post by ssimakov »

Florian, sorry I've missed one obvious reason for this behaviour. Are you running Monitor in an Advanced scalability mode by any chance?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Also, you may need to wait for some time after first adding your ESX hosts or vCenter to the Veeam Monitor. Initial historical performance data import may take some time, during which performance data will not be available.
fhuber
Novice

Post by fhuber »

I'm on the overall tab and there is no advanced scalability mode visible. Same behaviour at any diagramm. I've added the esxi hosts many hours ago and I hope it is not that kind of slow :wink: Below every diagramm stands "no data available"
ssimakov
Veeam Software

Post by ssimakov »

Florian, you were asked for the mode during installation. If you are not sure, it is reported in the status bar or can be changed in the Monitor Settings tool.
fhuber
Novice

Post by fhuber »

ssimakov,

it's running in advanced scalability mode, thanks for your hint to find this info. I'm using ESXi and not ESX - maybe this is the cause?
fhuber
Novice

Post by fhuber »

I've downloaded version 4.0.1.156 but despite fixing some hardware counters (we use HP Proliant DL360 G5) the problem still exists.

Resolved Issues:
Part of storage-related hardware counters are not shown for specific makes and models of servers (in particular, HP Proliant DL360/380 G5).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

fhuber, this resolved issue is completely unrelated to your problem. We have confirmation from multiple affected beta customers that this issue is in fact resolved by 4.0.1 - but it only relates to displaying data from server hardware sensors, and your issue is about performance statistics data not displayed.
fhuber
Novice

Post by fhuber »

Thank you for your information, any other suggestions?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Florian, no - unfortunately I have not heard or seen this issue reported before. This is probably specific to your deployment. So, it would be best if you contact our support to troubleshoot this. We will be able to understand what Veeam Monitor is doing from its service log. It is quite strange that your ESX host neither display performance data, not getting grayed out as unresponding for long time.
fhuber
Novice

Post by fhuber »

Anton,
I've already contacted the support (Ticket#509849) but last answer was on 2009/07/09... Yesterday I wrote again, maybe I'll receive an answer soon :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Florian, OK thank you for the case ID - I will ask them to take a look. I am not with support, but I believe what happens is support cases for free products get lowest priority.
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

I'm actually having this problem right now with a host I have just added. I have two that are monitoring just fine and one that shows no data. I set up the host on Friday and today is Monday and there is no recorded data. It can see the summary information about the hardware and it can view the CIM information for hardware. Alerting even works for hardware issues. But it's not recording data. This is the full version and I have updated to the latest release 4.0.1.156. Any ideas?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

elwappo, have you already opened the support case? What is the number?
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Not yet. I was just wondering if there was a quick solution I could pick up here. Should I go ahead with a case?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

One thing to check would be time setting on the new ESX server (if time is set correctly and difference is not too large with Monitor server). This is the only thing that comes to my mind, so if the time seems fine and NTP is configured correctly, then feel free to open a case with our support. You can send some latest service logs right away to save one turnaround ;)
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

So check this out. I removed the ESX server. I added it back using the I.P. address rather than the DNS name. Works great. If I remove it again and add the DNS name back it again does not record data. It doesn't display it either. But it does display the summary information and disk information. Weird huh? If I remove it from the monitor console is it really deleting it in the database? I'm wondering if maybe it needs to be completely nuked out and added back again. The DNS name is correct I triple checked. :-))
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, when you remove the server from Veeam Monitori it really does delete all of its data from the database completely. In fact, you will not be able to re-add the server until this process is complete (which may take a while if there is a lot of historical data to delete).

Have you checked if DNS name for this server is correctly specified in the ESX host settings? And whether DNS resolution of this DNS name works fine from Veeam Monitor server?
javadragon
Novice
Full Name: Martin Knoll

Post by javadragon »

Greetings,
I have dealt with this issue for sometime. I still use Veeam Monitor, the free version, to keep track of all my guests but I haven't seen performance data for sometime. I am mostly using ESXi 3.5 and recently 4.0. I understood this to be a problem with VMware's licensing. Where VM would not allow access to this data anymore through the free versions of ESXi.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Martin, there is no such restriction in the free version of ESXi - reading data from free ESXi is not restricted in any way - so the reason you are not seeing performance data got to be different.
javadragon
Novice
Full Name: Martin Knoll

Post by javadragon »

I don't understand what the issue could be. It all started with ESXi 3.5 update 4, and continues not to display data. I am using the same NTP server on my Veeam server as all the ESXi boxes. I understand that support doesn't give priority to the free version, but I am willing to wait. I haven't had performance data for sometime and a little longer is no big deal. Can I open a support ticket with the free version?
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Opps forgot I had this question on here as well. I've been a little busy and have failed on my forum checking skills. :-)

I have not opened a case. I worked around this issue by putting in the I.P. address of the ESXi host I wanted to monitor. Once I did that it worked like a champ. I double and triple checked my DNS setup for the server and the machine that is running my Veeam monitor can ping it by name no problem. It seems to be a name resolution issue but I don't understand what is wrong. All my other hosts work fine.

Any ideas?

I checked my host setup in the ESX server and the DNS info is right there. Very strange indeed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Not sure, since this exhausted the list of assumptions I had. :D
Did you try both short and long DNS names with all suffixes? This still looks like DNS-related issue by all means...

If you get some time and want to investigate this further, please send us service log for investigation to our support email. As the full version user you are fully eligible for technical support anyway ;)
fhuber
Novice

Post by fhuber »

My issue was solved this way:

Please, switch to the Typical scalability mode, the reason is that free edition of Monitor supports data collection within 24 hours only, while Advanced mode collects data for previous period and as you have no previous data available you can`t see any performance data on Free edition with Advanced mode.

Thanks to for your support, Irina (Veeam Support)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This description above is not technically correct, the reason must have been different - because Advanced Scalability mode is fully supported in free version. However, if you were using Advanced Scalability mode with standalone ESXi hosts, then this would explain why you are not seeing performance data - there is corresponding known issue documented in the release notes document.
Advanced Scalability Mode
• Performance data is not collected for stand‐alone ESXi hosts in the Advanced scalability mode.
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

I had this same issue not to long ago. I opened a support case and sadly we weren't able to find a solution to the problem. If I remove the host and re-add it, its fine. It only occurs after a long period of time for me (2 months for one of the hosts that had the problem). The other host that lost its 'data' or reported that "no data available' was up for about a three months monitoring. Weird. Out of 12 hosts only those two (so far) have exhibited this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Can you please PM me the support case number, I would like to take a look and discuss with the devs.
alan.mckay
Novice
Full Name: Alan McKay

Post by alan.mckay »

I get the same issue as just reported in another thread. It says next to the IP address for my ESXi server "connection problem" and "not responding".

But it was able to successfully and correctly populate the list of VMs that are on this ESXi server.
scottmattingly
Novice

Post by scottmattingly »

I think I am having a similar problem. If I add a host by IP address, the performance data is there, as is the hardware information under the hardware tab. If I add the host by name (ex esx001.ourdomain.com) then no performance data and under hardware tab, it just shows "Hardware information data is not available for this host" We are using esxi 3.5 update 4 and the way we do our DNS names is to set the esxi a static address and then put a manual DNS entry into our AD integrated DNS. The machine to IP address resolves fine. I can connect via DNS name with the VMWare VI client and it also works fine. I have tried this with over 50 of our hosts and we get the same behavior with all of them. Everything works great if it is added by IP, not so great if added by DNS name.

Please advise, We really want to use this, but we really want to have the machines listed by the DNS name, not IP.