Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chaniago
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: chaniago

Question About Job on Veeam

Post by chaniago »

I know it might be a newbie question. But after spending time learning and replicating with Veeam, I learnt that the replica metadata is stored on per job basis.
Because one job can only have one schedule, I must create a new job if I want to create a different schedule.
Can I create a new job, and then move the vm that I want to replicate?

I replicating via WAN (10 Mbps) so I hope that the vm replica I created before can just continue in this new job.

Thanks for your answer.

Best regards,
Chaniago
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Question About Job on Veeam

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chaniago,

Yes, you can re-use your existing VM in the DR site while mapping new replication job to this replica VM. For additional information please check out our User Guide (starting from page 118).

Thanks!
chaniago
Novice
Full Name: chaniago

Post by chaniago »

Dear Vitaliy S.
Thanks for the answer, if you don't mind I want to ask again.
If I mapping new replication job to this replica VM, will it compute the hardisk digest again?
Because we only have 10 Mbps for WAN connection, we would like the replication finish as fast as possible.

Thank you,
Chaniago
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, if you do replica mapping, VM digests have to be calculated and transferred to the source proxy. If you have a target proxy deployed on the remote site, then this proxy will calculate VM digests locally and then will send the result to a source proxy, in this case the traffic that will flow through your WAN link will be minimal.
bdoellefeld
Influencer
Full Name: Bill Doellefeld

Post by bdoellefeld »

I believe my question is the same as the OP but would like some confirmation.

I'm running Veeam 6.1 x64 with proxies on both sides.

I want to consolidate one replication job containing a single VM into another existing job. If I simply add the the VM to the job I want and remove the unneeded job will Veeam simply continue replication using past restore points? I ask because the guide talks about seeding but I have no seeding options unless I check the "Low connection bandwidth" box. That's fine but then I become confused as to whether I have to map the preexisting VMs in that job as well.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You need to map the added VM in its new replication job to the existing replica VM at the seeding step of the wizard. Don't forget to disable the old job also.
bdoellefeld
Influencer

Post by bdoellefeld »

Thanks Foggy.

At what point (or ever) can I remove ready replicas from the old job?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you want to remove the existing restore points of that VM created by the previous job? You do not need to do that as they will be re-used as restore points by the new job and will be treated according to it's retention settings.
bdoellefeld
Influencer

Post by bdoellefeld »

foggy wrote:Do you want to remove the existing restore points of that VM created by the previous job?
I was thinking yes but only because I assume they would hanging out there and could confuse someone or take up space.
foggy wrote:You do not need to do that as they will be re-used as restore points by the new job and will be treated according to it's retention settings.
So this means that once the restore points reach the configured max in the new job, in my case 10, the old restore points will begin to be removed?

This is what I see when looking at the replicas
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

bdoellefeld wrote:I was thinking yes but only because I assume they would hanging out there and could confuse someone or take up space.
Sorry for not being correct in my previous post. The old restore points are NOT re-used by the new job and are deleted during replica mapping. So they do not consume any space, just hang out in the UI and you need to right-click the old job and select Remove from replicas to get rid of them.
bdoellefeld
Influencer

Post by bdoellefeld »

Thanks for your help Foggy. Old restore points gone now. Much appreciated.