Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mib1964
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: mib1964

exchange 2003 replication problem

Post by mib1964 »

When i replicate mu database exchange, the database was corrupt.

How can I replicate a database exchange 2003 correctly with veeam backup and replicate 6.1.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: exchange 2003 replication problem

Post by foggy »

Could you tell why have you decided it is actually corrupt? Are you getting some kind of errors on starting the replica VM? How do you start the replica VM?

I would also suggest to look at this webinar covering all the aspects of Exchange backup&recovery with Veeam.

Thanks!
mib1964
Novice

Post by mib1964 »

my exchange 203 server is on a vmware vsphere 5 server. the datastore is on the first stockage area.
The database exchange is on a second stockage area.
when i replicate then vm exchange and the database exchange are replicated on a third stockage area.

when i attach the database exchange replicated on then vm exchange witch on the first stockage area(and not on the third), exchange tel me that the database was corrupt.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Wait, are you saying Exchange database is on a separated LUN from the VM? But it's an RDM disk or a VMDK?

Sounds strange since you are talking about reattaching the database to the replicated VM, like the database is on a RDM and you need to replicate it via storage, and then connect it again to Exchange. If so, it's more an Exchange application problem in my opinion...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mib1964
Novice

Post by mib1964 »

the lun for the databse exchange is a vmdk.

when in connect the replicate vmdk to the exchnage server, the database exchange is corrupt.

for me it is not an exchange problem !!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could you please tell me why you are not replicating the entire Exchange VM with its database? Why do you need to attach the database to the replicated VM? BTW - do you use "application aware image processing" for your Exchange server?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Exactly what I was supposing, thanks Vitaliy.
Mib1964, I'm not trying to say that it is for sure an exchange problem, but if the exchange server is made of 2 disks, both are vmdk, I cannot see any reason to not replicate both as a whole vm. From a disaster recovery perspective, if you loose your source datastores, you will have only the first vmdk available (I suppose is the one with the operating system). Without the data disk you will not be able to restore exchange.

IMHO, it's way better to replicate the entire VM.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1