Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
slaneph
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sean Lane

Use MS DPM for backup to tape

Post by slaneph »

Anyone out there using MS Data Protection for getting your backups onto tape? Any tips/suggestions/problems? We have backup exec, but since upgrading to 2012 we are having a lot of problems.
Thank you,
Sean
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Use MS DPM for backup to tape

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

Since Veeam will add tape support in their next major release, my advice is to save your money on actual tape backup software and wait for it. For now, you can go with really cheap but powerful solution like Uranium backup for example (forgive my sales pitch here, I do not work for them nor I'm related to them, but they are italians like me :))

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Post by kewnev »

hi Sean,

BE 2012 is certainly a dog of a product.

Having said that, simply getting Veeam backups written to tape should work fine.

Did you upgrade BE 2012 from a previous version? If so, I recommend you completely uninstall it, and re-install the product from scratch. It certainly helps.

We have very little problem with backing up Veeam to tape with BE2012. But native Veeam tape support will be a godsend!

Nev
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r »

Slightly off topic, but is there a roadmap showing that Veeam will be including tape support? Is it version 6.5?

Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

ian0x0r wrote:Slightly off topic, but is there a roadmap showing that Veeam will be including tape support? Is it version 6.5?
Not in v6.5. Tape support will be added in the next major release.
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Post by kewnev »

hi foggy,

Will the tape functionality be basic in that one will have to restore all the Veeam backup files first to a disk area, even to restore just one file .. or will one be able to selectively restore data directly from the backup tape (even down to Windows guest file level)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Since tape does not support random access to backup file, disk staging will be required for all types of restores.
slaneph
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sean Lane

Post by slaneph » 1 person likes this post

Thanks everyone for the replies. Veeam to tape direct will be awesome. I cannot wait until it is released. For now I need a solution that can handle both Physical and Virtual Servers. I will play around with getting Veeam to work with DPM when my new tape drive arrives next week. If I can make it work I will write a post about it.
My Backup exec was an upgrade. I would try a fresh install, but we are trying to get away from BE and use MS DPM with System Center 2012 since we pay for it on our enterprise agreement.
Thank you