Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jkettler
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re-IP and Virtual NIC enabling

Post by jkettler »

Hi there. I did a failover test of our replicas last night. I have re-ip rules setup in the jobs but the replica VMs did not actually apply those rules to the virtual NIC, which was also not joined to a virtual network. This causes a 10+ minute timeout before "Preparing network connections..." allows me to login to the server. Obviously we want to streamline bringing the replicas online in the new subnet.

Am I missing some replica job options to make sure the NICs are enabled and have the new addresses? Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Re-IP and Virtual NIC enabling

Post by Gostev »

So, the real problem is not lack of re-IP, but the fact that your vNIC is not even connected to the network. This is what really has to be troubleshoot here.

The reason why your vNIC ends up being disconnect on replica should be clear from reviewing failover log, so please open a support case and provide support logs package, as explained when you click New Topic. Please also include support case ID here, so we are able to lookup resolution for future readers, in case you don't come back to post one ;)

Thanks!
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

Sorry. The "once-per-day e-mail" of support cases is slow and frustrating, so I thought I'd take a shot here to speed things up (which is what I though was the point of a user forum?). Will do, though.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This kind of issues cannot be investigated without logs review that can be performed by support only. People behind this forum cannot read logs, the forum has a bit different purpose (this is also explained when you click New Topic, btw).
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

My case regarding this issue is still open (# 5216226). According to Veeam tech the fail-over log did not indicate why the NICs are not re-enabling. I could manually enable the NICs but re-IP does not seem to work on all (2 of the 3 tested had their re-IP'ed address applied). Will continue to update in case anyone else has this issue.
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler » 1 person likes this post

I tested our fail-over and fail-back last weekend and encountered the same problem with Re-IP not working upon fail-back. Worked with support today who says this is a known issue and will be fixed in 6.5, if anyone is wondering.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for the update!