Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Scouserste81
Novice
Liked: 7 times

NFS Repository on QNAP Appliance

Post by Scouserste81 »

I am attempting to setup a connection to a NFS share. This is from Veeam installed on a physical server running Windows server 2008.

The NFS share is on a QNAP 879U-RP NAS appliance. This device is Linux based. QNAP have already diagnosed the NAS and confirmed all NFS components are functional.

I can connect to the device via SSH with an account that has root access.

Veeam fails during the configuration of the repository, when I click Browse to see shares, this show a timeout message.

If I specify the path manually I can get to the end of the wizard but receive the following.

28/09/2012 09:54:31 Fail Failed to save Backup Repository: Timed out waiting for operation \"(cd /tmp && perl veeam_soap1ceeab78-ca04-4e32-9538-cb66fd124939.pl -d -c -l lib1ceeab78-ca04-4e32-9538-cb66fd124939 -e /tmp/veeam_error1ceeab78-ca04-4e32-9538-cb66fd124939 2>> /tmp/veeam_error1ceeab78-ca04-4e32-9538-cb66fd124939) || cat /tmp/veeam_error1ceeab78-ca04-4e32-9538-cb66fd124939 2>&1\", timeout: 100000 ms

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I also have an open ticket with support ID#5218305
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: NFS Repository on QNAP Appliance

Post by chrisdearden »

I dont know if the QNAP supports the required perl components to install a repository server. You would need to mount the NFS share to a linux VM and use that. It would probably be a lot easier to present a CIFS/SMB share and use that as a target.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Already tested this in the past, Qnap (as many other nas storages) have embedded and stripped linux distro onboard, and you cannot really manage them as pure linux servers. As Chris said, the best way to use a Qnap is to create a CIFS share on it and register it in Veeam Server.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
linux4guru
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Lam

Post by linux4guru »

I have used QNAP and Veeam but I was only able to use iSCSI protocol. I was not able to get NFS or CIFS to work at all. iSCSI works great for me over a dedicated 192.x.x.x network via a crossover CAT6 cable.
qnapjauss
Lurker
Full Name: Jauss

Post by qnapjauss »

Hi,

Veeam Backup and Replication is compatible with QNAP Turbo NAS.
You can see the compatibility list in www.qnap.com/compatibility

Veeam can be used easily with a CIFS backup repository, or iSCSI backup repository.
For CIFS backup repository, Active Directory user or local NAS user can be used.

The QNAP NAS do not include PERL in its system, that is required to add a Linux server in Veeam.

BR,
Jauss
verre
Enthusiast
Full Name: Valentino Erre

[MERGED] Proxy and nas repository

Post by verre »

Hi everyone, I've a question. I'm setting up an infrastructure with the following components:
- virtual environment: VMware vsphere 5.1
- repository for backups: Nas Qnap
- Proxy: virtual machine in hot add

The question is: what's the best way to make proxy and nas communicate each other? Currently I've just add a virtual nic to the proxy vm and configure it to communicate to qnap using NFS protocol: or it could be better CIFS or iSCSI? I've thought that iSCSI could give me the possibility to use the Round Robin load balancing policy (adding a second nic and portgroup to the virtual switch)...could it be an improvement?

Thank you all
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Valentino, basically, iSCSI looks more preferable for this kind of setup. Please review considerations above, as well as another existing topic.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

I've read that post. I have a doubt: if I have a proxy which collect the data from the source then sends the data to a WIN/LNX server (in which it is installed the transport service), how they communicate? With which protocol? And in case of that machine is WIN ... could it make sense to promote it as Proxy?
Tnks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

verre wrote:I've read that post. I have a doubt: if I have a proxy which collect the data from the source then sends the data to a WIN/LNX server (in which it is installed the transport service), how they communicate? With which protocol?
It uses TCP. You can review all the required connections and ports in the corresponding user guide section.
verre wrote:And in case of that machine is WIN ... could it make sense to promote it as Proxy?
If that server is added to Veeam B&R console as repository, it already has all the required components installed.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Thank you. I still having some doubt. In that post they suggest to connect the proxy to qnap using iSCSI, but I don't understand why it is better...
The options to connect qnap to my virtual machine proxy are:
1- connect qnap in iSCSI to ESX and expose a LUN in RDM to my proxy as NTFS local (DAS) repository
2- connect qnap to proxy using iSCSI initiator inside the guest and use it as NTFS local (DAS) repository
3- connect qnap to proxy as CIFS share
4- connect qnap to proxy as NFS share

I don't understand which one (and why) could be better....
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I would say there's no universal answer (the one that would always be better than others). Either one can serve better in this or that environment, depending on a dozen of factors. I've just pointed out what others typically do, however you can try and verify which works better for you.

Btw, here's another thread discussing different setups.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

I've found this image that let me a little bewildered

as you can see in each scenarios there is the opportunuty to install the transport service (I suppose the backup repository in first scenario couldn't be a qnap)
my question is: if I can choose between the first and second scenario (therefore it isn't a problem to have a second windows machine for proxy) ...which one is better and why?
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You're correct that QNAP most likely cannot serve as backup repository in the first scenario (no ability to install data move agent on it). However if you could choose between them, the first one would generally be preferred due to the ability to write data locally.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Ok therefore the aren't any advantages to put another proxy in the remote site (it should be better for replica due to compressed data to transfer, but not for backups)...is it true?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, in case of agent-enabled backup repository (the one you can install Veeam data mover on), there's no necessity to have additional proxy/proxying server in the target site. Data processing will be performed by the repository itself.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Thank you... insthead, if I have a qnap I bring back to the original question of this topic: is it better to deploy a linux/windows as agent-anabled near the repository? Or is it better to connect the qnap in iscsi/nfs/cifs directly on the source proxy?
After reading this (and others) thread I've understood that:
- the communications between two different transport services are more stable, but use TCP protocol (poor performances)
- if I install a proxy on destination repository it is absolutely useless
- it is no easy to understand (due to tonnes of variables to consider) if it is better to connect the qnap in iscsi/nfs or cifs
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, if it is a two-site setup (you did not make this clear initially) with QNAP located in the remote site, then configuration with the proxying server and QNAP mounted to it is the way to go.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

yes, two sites with 2Gb connection between source proxy and qnap... I've connected the qnap directly to the source proxy