Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
anbeca
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Carsten Krämer

Starting B&R 6.5 on Windows XP x64 takes forever

Post by anbeca »

Hi

i just updated a few B&R to version 6.5. Basically everything went without any problems.
On one installation the upgrade also went without problems but starting the gui takes about 30 minutes. The systems is hardly usable at this time with cpu usage not higher then 10 percent. So actually the system is doing nothing and still unusable. After waiting approx. 30 minutes the gui comes up und everything is working as normal.

B&R 6.5 runs on Windows XP x64 with 4 GB RAM and two virtual cores. Its a VM running on ESXi 5.0 U1.

Anyone have a hint what this can be?

Thanks
ta_jb
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Re: Starting B&R 6.5 on XP x64 takes forever

Post by ta_jb »

Having the same problem with 6.1 on several XP virtual machines (but all 32 bit).
Thought that's get fixed with version 6.5 and just waited for the release of it 8)
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Starting B&R 6.5 on Windows XP x64 takes forever

Post by dellock6 »

Have you checked other performance metrics like underlying storage for example? Or memory balloning/swapping on that VM? XP has the default ide controller for its virtual disk?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Could it be a SQL issue on your Veeam server...
wonderboy
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: peter

Post by wonderboy » 1 person likes this post

I have found in 6.1 and 6.5, if I'm RDP'd to the veeam server, the Splash screen freezes that way for ever. BUT if I disconnect the RDP session and immediately reconnect then the program appear open and all is normal. :?
kevinturner73
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin Turner

Post by kevinturner73 »

I am having the same issue. Running the BR6.5 console from a Server2008-32bit machince. It was on 6.1 last week and was working fine Wednesday. Did some Windows security updates and when it came back up the same thing happened to mine (10 minutes to load, 2 minutes to change views, most backups fail) I didnt immedietaly think it would be the windows updates because the same updates were applied to our identical veeam-replication server and it fine all day long. I went ahead and did the 6.5 update and the same thing is occuring.

So long story short, it started on B&R 6.1 for me so it was not truely a "6.5 issue" for me. I am going to uninstall the updates and see if that was the issue for me. I will add my results.
ta_jb
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Post by ta_jb »

wonderboy wrote:I have found in 6.1 and 6.5, if I'm RDP'd to the veeam server, the Splash screen freezes that way for ever. BUT if I disconnect the RDP session and immediately reconnect then the program appear open and all is normal. :?
Can confirm this behaviour. If I'm connected via VMware Console the GUI opens immediately.
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

wonderboy wrote:I have found in 6.1 and 6.5, if I'm RDP'd to the veeam server, the Splash screen freezes that way for ever. BUT if I disconnect the RDP session and immediately reconnect then the program appear open and all is normal. :?
Had the same issue today
kevinturner73
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin Turner

Post by kevinturner73 »

kevinturner73 wrote:So long story short, it started on B&R 6.1 for me so it was not truely a "6.5 issue" for me. I am going to uninstall the updates and see if that was the issue for me. I will add my results.
Uninstalling the windows updates last night did not fix the issue.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Same issue on a Windows 2003 - 32 bit server
If I disconnect and then reconnect the rdp sessions I can bypass Veeam splash screen. If I wait, the GUI appears after 20 - 30 minutes

I've about 30 Veeam installations and this is the only one with this behavior. Veeam 6.1 with latest cumulative patch.

Marco
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

We would appreciate if one of you could open a support ticket with our technical team and let them investigate this issue live.
bdoellefeld
Influencer
Full Name: Bill Doellefeld

Post by bdoellefeld »

Same with me, only happens when connecting via RDP and opening the B&R console. Your mileage may vary on this trick but it seems to work for me; Opening task manager before launching the B&R console seems to circumvent whatever the issue is and it launches normally. I can't explain it.

Forgot to add, this is Server 2003 R2 x64