Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hockeyguy59
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed R

Removing ESXi host from Infrastructure pane

Post by hockeyguy59 »

Hi All,
I have searched and I cannot seem to find an answer to this one. Or maybe I didn't search hard enough. lol

I am at 6.1.0.205(64bit) and I am running ESX 5. What I am trying to do is remove old ESXi hosts from the Veeam console that were removed from my virtual center cluster. I originally had 7 host and I have since migrated off of three of the hosts and removed them from the VMware virtual center console. I cannot seem to find where to remove them from the Veeam console. If you go to infrastructure, VMware vSphere, vCenter Servers, <my vc server name> on the right it will display all the ESXi hosts. Well.. 3 of those hosts are no longer in Virtual Center but they still show under virtual center in Veeam. I have tried to rescan(that just rescans the storage). I have rebooted the Veeam system. I have also done a search through the registry to see if it may have been stored in the registry but no luck.

Any ideas? I am hoping I don't have to remove the virtual center and re-add it, since i am pretty sure that will destroy the jobs i have created....

thanks for any input!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Removing ESXi host from Infrastructure pane

Post by foggy »

Ed, please contact technical support, they could assist you in editing Veeam B&R database to remove these hosts.
hockeyguy59
Lurker
Full Name: Ed R

Post by hockeyguy59 »

ok I will contact them in a bit. Thanks Foggy!
lars@norstat.no
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Lars Skjønberg

Post by lars@norstat.no »

i have the same problem, can't you just post the solution here so that we can remove the servers ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Lars, unfortunately, we do not publish solutions that require Veeam B&R configuration database editing. One reason is database differences between product versions. Please open a case to get the solution, this is very easy indeed.
ZachW
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Post by ZachW »

One of the problems with posting the solution to this on the forums is that the solution is not something that is going to be what I would call a "static" query. Removing the host is going to require the GUID of the host which will have to be removed from two different tables in the SQL DB. When this is the case it is typically best to have support tickets open as it does require some "manual intervention". Once you get a ticket open it should be quite easy to get you squared away!
lars@norstat.no
Expert

I'm sorry, but in the cases i have done with support the answer has either been that there is a problem with something else than Veeam (Which can be true of course, but then they should have a clue about what can cause it) or i get the answer that this is pretty difficult to investigate at the moment .... Well ... I will of course run this by support aswell. But i don't really understand your policy about keeping things out of the forums. The more that is there the better i would think. Of course there are differences between versions, but we are IT guy's not children and this is backup and replication and not "the most important software we have"
lars@norstat.no
Expert

ZachW wrote:One of the problems with posting the solution to this on the forums is that the solution is not something that is going to be what I would call a "static" query. Removing the host is going to require the GUID of the host which will have to be removed from two different tables in the SQL DB. When this is the case it is typically best to have support tickets open as it does require some "manual intervention". Once you get a ticket open it should be quite easy to get you squared away!
Fine, but then i would just put "enter GUID here" or something ... You get the idea.

Well let me ask you something else related then ... i Add/Remove and rename ESXi servers all the time. At the moment i have 29 ESXi hosts. The question is ... Is this the way it's suppose to work ? i have to remove or add servers manually to the database every time i change something ? When i choose rescan the storage i get an error because the servers are not there anymore.

I cant remove the Virtual Center server and re add it because all the replication jobs are tied to that server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Lars, out of curiosity, could you please give us a bit more details on why you add/remove/rename ESX(i) servers all the time? Just trying to understand how to assist you with this challenge in a more elegant way.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I can give you mine, is hopefully similar to Lars: we run 30 and counting ESXi, and since all of them boot from SD it happens randomly it breaks. No big deal, we have automation tools to redeploy it. Even if it has the same name, the GUID of the server is not the same anymore.
Generally, the more ESXi servers you have, the more likely you will have to rebuild them from time to time. In my case anyway rescan has always worked, but I only added or reinstalled hosts, never removed permanently none of them.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
lars@norstat.no
Expert

What he said .... :-) Just some times you take an old server, rename it at move to a disaster site and then this server has a different name and GUID. I mean this is the basic stuff ... There are several things about your GUI that needs a BIG makeover. But i won't get into that now. Maybe i will make a bigger post about that later. And just to add, the functionality of your software is great and it does some things no one else does, BUT often the functions are hard to use or even find ....

Like i said, updating list of servers etc, or just updating a variable on several jobs at once is the basic stuff and should work out of the box on the sixth version of the product ....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for clarification guys, much appreciated.
lars@norstat.no wrote:Like i said, updating list of servers etc, or just updating a variable on several jobs at once is the basic stuff and should work out of the box on the sixth version of the product ....
You're absolutely correct! That is why we ask to open support cases on all technical issues, as we need to collect as much statistics as possible to release the fix for the problem. Hope this makes sense.
antivir
Enthusiast
Full Name: Andrew

[MERGED] How to delete host from vCenter in Backup Infrastru

Post by antivir »

VBR's Backup Infrastructure has vCenter server (with 10 hosts). I deleted one host from vCenter. But there is still vCenter with 10 hosts in Backup Infrastructure. How to delete it?
I try rescan on vCenter name - no matter.
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

[MERGED] : How to remove retired ESX hosts from Veeam?

Post by jpeake »

If I go to BACKUP INFRASTRUCTURE-->VCENTER SERVERS and click on my vCenter server, it shows 5 hosts. 3 of those have been retired, but there seems to be no way to remove them from Veeam. How can I do this?

When I RESCAN at the vCenter Server level it errors out
1/25/2013 8:19:03 AM Fail Disks and volumes discovery for VMware vCenter 'vcenter04' failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created
1/25/2013 8:19:03 AM Fail Session failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I’d suggest contacting our support team directly, since VB&R SQL-database correction seems to be necessary.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
deebsr
Influencer
Full Name: Shaun Deeb

Post by deebsr »

Just like to add that I've come across this issue. Why can't you just have an option to right click> remove host from the GUI? Why do I need to contact Veeam tech support to do this simple task?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, nobody ever posted support case ID for this issue in this tread, so I cannot really get more details on this problem to answer your question... most likely, there was not enough support cases opened for this issue to justify fixing it.
deebsr
Influencer
Full Name: Shaun Deeb

Post by deebsr »

I currently have support case # 00187296 open. Which we are getting things fixed ok. But it would be nice to have the ability to just rightclick > remove host.
Or even better if you run a rescan any hosts that are no longer there will automatically be removed or show up as offline..or something like that.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thanks, let me check with development on this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Looks like the fix for this is already scheduled for B&R 6.5 Patch 3.
bbohn
Lurker
Full Name: Bill Bohn

Post by bbohn »

Hello, I've been using Veeam for a couple years now and it seems the latest versions are getting easier to trip up since it expects your vCenter environment to be perfect.
We have a few 'dead in the water' hosts that are still in our inventory but not connected and it seems these can really trip up adding the vCenter into Veeam. (they are being worked on by different depts, etc)

We really need a way to add & ignore hosts directly in the vCenter listing on the Veeam side. Letting us rescan the storage is a tease since without any control to ignore failed/disconnected hosts the storage scan fails.

Give the user more control please. Hide it in an Advance tab if you must but many of us need it for our ever changing environments.
bbohn
Lurker
Full Name: Bill Bohn

Post by bbohn »

I would like to add something that seems odd that was half my issue.
If you put host clusters into a folder, Veeam B & R will not be able to see/discover them. It can find single hosts in folders, but not hosts in clusters.
When I moved them out of the folders, then Veeam B & R was able to discover the hosts that are in clusters.

not sure if that is by design or a bug
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Bill, could you please specify your exact topology that is not discovered correctly in Veeam B&R and also identify the place in the product GUI? We have a cluster that is contained within the folder in our internal lab and it is displayed correctly in the VMs tree in Veeam B&R.
spf62
Enthusiast
Full Name: Steve Fritsch

Post by spf62 »

I am having the same issue, using Veeam 6.5.0.109, ESXi 5.0xx. I have 2 ESXi hosts that won't come out after a rescan.Seems like it should be easier that editing the DB, I'm surprised that VEEAM doesnt have a way to remove a ESXi host through it's GUI. Seems cumbersome.
Pass that onto the software dev team please

thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steve, looks like you are simply not running the latest product build. Please install the latest patch: as I mentioned a few posts above, this issue was scheduled to be addressed in Patch #3 for B&R 6.5. Thanks!
EddyMandemaker
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Eddy Mandemaker

Post by EddyMandemaker » 1 person likes this post

this is corrected in patch3 for B&R v6.5.
I had this issue to ...

regards Eddy Mandemaker
fmt1962
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daryl W

Post by fmt1962 »

Wow I cannot believe this.... I love Veeam and this is the first significant and hard to believe problem.

Like many other people, from time to time we have to do a hardware update of our physical hosts..... now I have to open a support case to get instructions to edit the database to remove the old hosts.... this is almost beyond belief.

Come on guys, we do have to upgrade hardware!!! Surely you cannot have overlooked this really!
fmt1962
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daryl W

Post by fmt1962 » 2 people like this post

Support was terrific......

I did install patch 3 as requested (and noted this issue is suppposed to be fixed), however it only fixed a few of the hosts, many remained stuck.

However support webexed in and fixed the db issue in a few minutes, top marks for support....

Hopefully this issue is all but fixed, obviously a few little glitches remain.....
ejudson
Lurker
Full Name: Eddie Judson

Post by ejudson »

This worked for me

delete
FROM [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[Hosts]
where name ='name of host'
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale » 1 person likes this post

If someone is still struggling this issue with newer versions, first you need to remove jobs, replicas related to that specific host ... then host dissapear - when removed from vcenter.