Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Decide the Raid level through VeeamONE

Post by pcrebe »

Hi,
I'm deciding what raid use for an SBS2008 that now is on a Raid10 Datastore (AD+Sharepoint+WSUS+Exchange). I'm undecided between a new Raid5 and the actual Raid10 and i'm whatching the Datastore I/O but i don't know what info is the best for decide the raid level:
is more important Datastore Read write/read rate or Datastore write/read I/O to chose?
For you what is the best choise with 4 15k drives?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Decide the Raid level through VeeamONE

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Carlo,

Since you're going to host highly transactional and IOPs intensive applications on this datastore, then RAID10 would be the best choice if you can afford it.

See this blog post for additional info: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/billg/archiv ... mance.aspx

Thanks!
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Post by pcrebe »

Thanks,

but i'd like to know if they are high transational using VeeamONE, what do i control?

Bye
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to measure datastore performance, then it's better to look which configuration provides you more capacity in terms of IOPs (read/write operations per sec). If you want to see whether your applications are highly transactional or not, then navigate to the datastore tab and choose the "stack by VM" view. Thanks!