Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rdmtech
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Feature Request: Restore to different platform

Post by rdmtech »

I have numerous clients jumping ship from VMWare to Microsoft now that Hyper-V 3.0 is out. It would be an awesome feature to allow restoration/migration to/from ESX to Hyper-V or vice versa for that matter. It would also be great if you got rid of licensing ESX and Hyper-V hosts separately. Just license by the CPU, but don't differentiate platform. That way your clients can switch platforms without the need for new licensing.

Just a thought.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature Request: Restore to different platform

Post by Gostev »

rdmtech wrote:I have numerous clients jumping ship from VMWare to Microsoft now that Hyper-V 3.0 is out. It would be an awesome feature to allow restoration/migration to/from ESX to Hyper-V or vice versa for that matter.
Why not use free VM conversion tools which both vendors mentioned provide for this exact purpose?
rdmtech wrote:That way your clients can switch platforms without the need for new licensing.
I have always considered platform switch to be more or less "once-in-a-life-time" event due to all the complexity and work involved... am I completely off base?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

No, you are completely right.
I've done several platform switches, all of them towards vSphere but coming from every other, Hyper-V or Xen and even Kvm. It's always a pita to be honest, long conversion times, drivers for virtual hardware to be removed/installed, downtime of many services.
It's not at all something a customer want to do on a regular base....

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kenneth Westergaard

[MERGED] Moving from one VMWare hosting vendor to another wi

Post by ravelin »

Hi
Is it possible to use VEEAM to transfer between the hosts?
Basicly I have a lot of hosts at a hosting provider. We are moving to our own HyperV server.
Can I backup using VEEAM, and restore to the HyperV host?

Otherwise it seems I have to make a dummy VMWare installation, restore to that, then convert the vmdk to vhd files.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kenneth, consider simply using hypervisor vendor tools to migrate your VMs to the required platform. Those tools are free. Thanks!
redhulk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: peter valerio

[MERGED] restoring from backups without original host

Post by redhulk »

Hello everyone, Im sorry of this question has been as ask before but I really need some help. I recently installed Veeam with a 30 days trial license. I ran backups of my 3 test servers that where running on Microsoft Hyper-V server. The backups ran successfully and are safe on my external nas. I then reformatted my server and installed VMware 5.1 esxi. Can I restore my servers (veeam backups) without the original Microsoft hyper-v server? Am I screwed?