Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Bowlzee
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Bowles

Recreating a Replication job after failover

Post by Bowlzee » 1 person likes this post

I had a Veeam replication job that would copy to servers from our production site to our DR site once a week. In the event that our DR servers went down I would use these replicated servers to quickly bring up new DR servers.

This worked a excellently. After the VM's failed due to SAN corruption I was able to quickly create new DR servers from the ones replicated from Production....

I now wish to start replicating a new set of Production servers to DR, in case these newly created servers fail. However when I set up a new job, replicating to a different SAN Disk at DR with a different replication name suffix, it fails stating that the VM is already running...

Is there a way to get Veeam to 'forget' that it ever replicated these servers?

Thanks
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Re: Recreating a Replication job after failover

Post by homerjnick » 1 person likes this post

But your DR replicas are live still???? You cannot replicate a VM that is in a failed over state, you must failback if your SAN corruption is fixed or committ the failover so the replica at DR is the master but in its current state you cannot replicate a failed over VM...if that is what you are tryng to do?
Bowlzee
Influencer

Post by Bowlzee »

homerjnick wrote:But your DR replicas are live still???? You cannot replicate a VM that is in a failed over state, you must failback if your SAN corruption is fixed or committ the failover so the replica at DR is the master but in its current state you cannot replicate a failed over VM...if that is what you are tryng to do?
I never actually 'failed over'. I used these replicated production VM's to create the new DR servers. I bought them online in vCenter, removed from the domain, renamed, and re-added with the new DR Server names.

The old DR servers were on the corrupted SAN. They were unrecoverable and have been deleted.

So I'm trying to start over the replication of the production servers to our DR site.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Craig,

As far as I got you correct, you have manually brought up replicated servers, then added them to the new replication job and pointed to the new ESX(i) host, right?
Bowlzee wrote:However when I set up a new job, replicating to a different SAN Disk at DR with a different replication name suffix, it fails stating that the VM is already running...
Are you pointing your replication jobs to the same ESX(i) hosts where your new production VMs are running? Do you have any VM replicas mentioned in the Replica node of the backup console?

Thanks!
Bowlzee
Influencer

Post by Bowlzee »

I had setup a project. 2 Servers at our production site, and 2 servers at our DR site. The 2 production servers were also replicated to our DR site, to enable us to bring production site back online quicker in a disaster event.

Then one of our DR SAN's failed. Corrupting the two DR servers. I decided to use the two replicated production servers to create our 2 new DR servers. I now want to replicate our 2 production servers out to DR again. But Veeam tries to replicate to the servers I am now using as the DR servers, which have been renamed etc in vSphere.

I need Veeam to 'forget' it has ever replicated the two production servers, and start a fresh replication.

I hope that explains it better :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...now can you please tell me if you have any VMs under "Replicas" node on the Backup & Replication tab?
Bowlzee
Influencer

Post by Bowlzee »

Yes, The two servers that were replicated are there. Showing the production server names.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you're no longer using these servers as targets for your replication jobs, please right click on these servers and select "Remove from replicas", after that try to start your replication jobs once again.
Bowlzee
Influencer

Post by Bowlzee »

Thanks! That's just the option I was looking for. I was forever right clicking the actual servers and was only receiving a 'Remove from Disk' option. :)