Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbehl69
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie

Only Tuesday Tape works. MWTHF tapes all fail

Post by jbehl69 »

I am very new to Veeam Backup and Replication. This was setup by another IT Company. They have a RDX tape for every day of the week. MTWTHF and only the Tuesday tape works. This is a very new configuration. A couple months old so I know the tapes are good. I'm sure it is some type of configuration that was setup using the Tuesday tape and not copied to the other tapes. I'm not sure what I need to do. Any direction would be great.

Veeam 6.1.0.181 (64 bit)
Windows Server 2008 R2
RDX USB Drive

Thanks,

Jamie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Only Tuesday Tape works. MWTHF tapes all fail

Post by foggy »

Jamie, it's not actually clear how backups offload is set up in your environment. As Veeam B&R does not provide backup to tapes functionality itself currently, some third-party application is used for this and you probably should look into its configuration for the possible reason of this behavior. Also, I would check whether all the required backup files are created by Veeam and stored in the corresponding location (from where they should be copied to tapes) and also check Veeam jobs statuses. Thanks.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

A little bit more info on your setup would be helpfull. Anyway just as a suggestion maybe there is something in your Windows Taskplaner setup to offload your backups to the RDX drive or in your jobsetup they have activated a post job activity.

Besides that why not ask the IT company that made the setup? ;)
jbehl69
Novice

Post by jbehl69 »

Code: Select all

Error: Client error: File does not exist. File: [G:\Backups\SV-Application Backup_1\SV-Application Backup2013-01-21T220018.vib]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0]. 
Here is the error message. I called the IT Company and of course they said it was setup correctly and it will be an additional charge to look at it. They said it should work like Backup Exec and I need to look at the Media Library. Veeam doesn't look anything like BE to me so I figured I would try the forum.

Would I need to insert each tape and manually create folders? It appears the folders are on the current tape that is failing but the file is only 40kb so that can't be right.

Thanks,

Jamie
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jbehl69 wrote:Would I need to insert each tape and manually create folders? It appears the folders are on the current tape that is failing but the file is only 40kb so that can't be right.
It is not needed. How does your target repository look like? How many files do you have there? Based on the error message I see that you're using forward incremental backup mode, right? Do you offload daily increments (VIB files) to the tape?
jbehl69
Novice

Post by jbehl69 »

We currently have 2 files. 1 for each of the servers. Yes it is an incremental daily backup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jbehl69 wrote:We currently have 2 files.
But where are the incremental backup files? You backup repository should contain full backups and incremental points, the number of incremental points depends on the retention policy settings. Do you probably remove Veeam backup files manually?