Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Surebackup with non-private network

Post by lobo519 »

I know, I know - I inherited a network using a public scheme that we don't even own. We have run into few if any issues and we are exploring what it would take to change the IP scheme but its not something we can do quickly.

We just upgraded our Veeam licensing and I am trying to setup a SureBackup virtual lab. When i get to the networking it says "Unable to automatically choose masquerade network address for non-private network address ..."

I assume I can continue with the advanced setup but how should it be configured?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Surebackup with non-private network

Post by tsightler »

You'll just have to manually pick a masquerade network, no big deal. Just use any network that's not in use elsewhere in your organization and you should be fine, you can even choose to use a network from the private IP space for the masquerade if you want (that's probably what I would do).
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

OK that's what I thought but just to confirm.

For this example lets say my IP scheme is 223.x.x.x

On the vNIC Connection settings screen:

Proxy appliance IP address in the isolated network - this would be my production gateway? - 223.x.x.1
Masquerade network - this pre-filled with my production network scheme - 223.x.x.x - I should change this to something I am not using? say 10.10.10.0?

Then this appliance will have another NIC and pick up a DHCP address from my production network and act as a proxy to the virtual lab?

Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

That all sounds right. The "production" side of the network is configured on the "proxy" tab of the virtual lab setup wizard. It can use DHCP or you can statically set an address for that side of the network.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

Great thanks!!