Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
leduke
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: alex

Synthetic Full take a week

Post by leduke »

Hello.

I got a problem on veeam 6.5. I select "transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks" on Saturday.

All my backup jobs were fine all the week, but on Saturday, my backup job is locked on "Synthetic Full" (16% done)... Last week this operation takes 5 days long.

I unselect "transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks", but the synthetic full is still running on Saturday.

How can I do to skip this "synthetic full" ?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Synthetic Full take a week

Post by foggy »

Alex, take a look at your backup mode settings (the same place where you have enabled/disabled transform feature) - you definitely have synthetic full set to run on Saturdays (check box right above the transform check box). You can disable synthetic fulls by clearing that check box, however, note that it is recommended to have periodic fulls (either active or synthetic) for a number of reasons.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Probably your target storage is too slow to do synthetic fulls or transforms. If you have enought space to hold another week of backups, maybe is better to switch to forward incremental backups.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

OK thank you for answering.

Is it possible to stop the job while performing ? It may corrupt the datatbase... ?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Provided that you have transform option disabled, you will have the latest (currently being created synthetic) full backup file in inconsistent state after stopping the job. All older restore points will not be affected.
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

Are we able to modify all that parameters on the job or must I recreate It ? Because when I uncheck the box "transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks", the job is steel going to transform the older backup from full to rollback...

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This change should take effect starting from the next job run, no need to re-create it. Do you observe alternate behavior?
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

Not yet, i was not on site, I will try to modify settings tomorow. I will tell you... :wink:

Thanks a lot
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

I modify the parameters for my Job on my slow storage... I now perform a "reversed incremental" backup (in veeam documentation this method is recomended for disk to disk backup, the Incremental is recomended for disk to disk to tape ou WAN backup) and added a weekly "Active Full". I hop that it will be OK, now... :(
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Alex.

You should be aware that with reversed incremental mode the need for performing active full backup isn’t so strong. According to the best practice mentioned here, it’s considered to be less important and should be performed not so frequently, once every 1-3 months.

Additionally, it might be worth reviewing this topic.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

So If I've got a fast storage system for my backup's target, what is the best backup option for a disk to disk (NAS) backup ?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It fully depends on your backup/restore requirements, there's no universal approach. Probably, this backup modes comparison will help you with your decision.
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

Thank you for this document, it helps a lot.
With Reverse INcremental it is specified that "Last backup is always full", what does it Mean ? Each rollbackp point will refered to the last full ?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It means that the most recent restore point is always a full backup(.vbk), and it gets updated after every backup cycle, VB&R injects changes into the .vbk file to rebuild it to the most recent state of a VM.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Alex, consider reviewing user guide at p.26 for better understanding of the backup modes. Thanks.