Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DeXa
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivo Trankolov

Is Veeam Backup & Replication still 32 bit?

Post by DeXa »

I am asking this question, because I've noticed that one of our proxy servers also a Repository, sees only 4GB of RAM?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Is Veeam Backup & Replication still 32 bit?

Post by veremin »

If you've meant Veeam Agents that are deployed on proxy servers/repositories, they are still 32-bit.

Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

But that doesn't have anything to do with how much memory the OS sees. The VeeamAgent.exe is indeed 32-bit, so each one can only grow to the maximum size of a 32-bit process in Windows (~2GB). However, since each job has it's own VeeamAgent.exe if you are running multiple jobs, Veeam can easily take advantages of more host OS memory.
DeXa
Influencer

Post by DeXa »

By proxy server I meant the Veeam Agent. The OS sees 32GB. I am trying to run as less as possible backup jobs, because of deduplication. Are there any plans for 64bit Agents?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

There are plans to introduce 64-bit agents at some point in the future. For now, I would strongly suggest that you create your backup jobs with reasonable sizes. The closer you get to the maximum memory limits the more likely you will be to have poor backup performance and random job failures as the address space is exhausted. The small increase in extra disk space due to loss of a little dedupe is a small price to pay for faster, more reliable backups.
DeXa
Influencer

Post by DeXa »

Yeah, right ... but with more jobs it will take more time and if i run them at once they will kill the storage ... whatever. So I'll just wait for the release.