Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vUnity
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian J. Brandon

Re: v6 traffic throttling does not apply

Post by vUnity »

If I'm using veeam6 as a backup server, with a local Backup Repository, how do I use the global network traffic throttling?

I'm prompted with the following options:
Source Range
Target Range
Throttle Speed
Time to Apply Rules.

To clarify.. the “source” is the ESX Server I'm trying to backup from and the “Target” is the Veeam localhos because it’s the final destination of the backup correct? If so, what IP Address do I specify as a target since the target is local, should I use 127.0.0.1 or a range like 1.1.1.1 - 255.255.255.255?

Thank You!

-Brian
Brian J. Brandon
CCNP | MCSE:Security | MCITP:EA
vUnity Bonded DSL
Http://www.vUnity.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Throttling only works between Veeam data mover agents: proxy to repository in case of backup, proxy to proxy in case of replication. It is not possible to set throttling between ESX(i) host and the repository located on your Veeam B&R server. Thanks!
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

You can, however, lower the ingestion rate on the repository settings to 'buffer' the speed at which compressed VM data is fed to the Veeam Backup server/source proxy.
besofakissen
Influencer

[MERGED] Traffic Throttling Issue

Post by besofakissen »

Hi There

Case ID: 00164141

We got some troubles with traffic throttling, the traffic won't be throttled anytime.

Site 1 Backup Proxy IP 192.168.9.49
Site 2 Backup Proxy IP 192.168.3.180

We setup a limit of 2 Mbits from 192.168.9.49 to 192.168.3.180... but veeam takes everytime the hole 20 Mbits...

Any Solutions?

Regards
D_M_C
Lurker
Full Name: David Click

Post by D_M_C »

My issue is a little different. We recently upgraded to ESXi 5.1 and could no longer use the ESX host datastore directly as a repository. To get around this we moved the backups to a newly created Windows backup repository which is a VMDK for our remote Veeam Proxy VM, imported the backups, and pointed the job to the new repository. The job had not been run in appr. 20 days so there were plenty of changes to be backed up and the job has now been running for around 35 hours. we knew this job would take a while so we setup 1Mbps traffic throttling to be applied only between the hours of 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday to mitigate the impact of daily operations at our main site. This job backs up accross WAN at 6 Mbps. The backup job however will now only run at a max of 1Mbps All the time. It never reverts to the available 6Mbps. Any idea of what may be going on?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please adjust your current throttling rules to see if the job can consume more bandwidth or not? Also how did you configure your throttling rules? If there are many rules, can you please tell me if there is any overlap between them?
kamalkant
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

Post by kamalkant »

Throttling does not work for my set up. I don't find any page which talks about throttling issues in details. Veeam talks about the right configuration, i have read and executed whatever is available on Veeam site. I have Veeam backup and replication 6.0 version. I am replicating a VM from vcenter 5 to vcenter 4 environment over the 20 MBPS WAN. My throttling setting defines 8 MB. But Job ended with 10 MB. Anything I am missing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kamalkant,

How have you specified your throttling rules? Do you have proxy servers deployed at both sites?

Thanks!
kamalkant
Influencer

Post by kamalkant »

Hi Vitaliy,

I have Veeam backup and Replication installed at both site(source and target). I am running my replication job from Target site VBR Server. I have specified the Source and Target proxy server correctly.
Also I have specified the IP range correctly. I have defined the specific time only 2 MB for working hours and 8 MB for off hours.
Well I have applied the throttling NOW on both of the Veeam servers specifying the same configuration. I see some improvements. I started my replication job in of hours, Good thing is that it did not go more than 5 MB ( 8MB specified) , but now as the working hours are started it has come down to 4 mb since last hour but as per configuration speed should come down to 2 MB.
I see that my bottleneck is throttling. I need more improvement in this to save bandwidth. also i deselected the option , allow multiple TCP/IP connection for single job.

Good but not that what I configured.
kamalkant
Influencer

Post by kamalkant »

i was just checking my another job, Processing rate as 61 MB, duration 9:34 , bottleneck- throttling , processed : 33.9 gb (100%), Read=615.5 MB, transferred = 121.6 MB (5.1x) ... so Question is Processing rate is 61 MB... how it can be more than my link capacity 20 MB? Am I misunderstood the theory behind?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Am I misunderstood the theory behind?
In fact, overall processing rate you’re talking about is nothing but the average speed of processing of all VMs in the job.

In other words, overall processing rate = total processed data/ time the job took to finish.

So, it has nothing to do with bandwidth of your link at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kamalkant wrote:Good but not that what I configured.
Can you open a support ticket with our technical team to quickly verify your rules configuration over the WebEx session?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

kamalkant wrote:i was just checking my another job, Processing rate as 61 MB, duration 9:34 , bottleneck- throttling , processed : 33.9 gb (100%), Read=615.5 MB, transferred = 121.6 MB (5.1x) ... so Question is Processing rate is 61 MB... how it can be more than my link capacity 20 MB? Am I misunderstood the theory behind?
The processing rate can be MUCH more than your link capacity. The processing rate is the size of your source data (33.9GB in the example)/time, but we only had to read 615.5MB (the changes) and then, after compression/dedupe, only had to send 121.6MB over the link to get your 33.9GB VM current, thus the effective processing rate was 61MB/sec (33.9GB/9min 34sec = ~61MB/sec). Since we only had to send 121.6MB of data then I doubt the link was even a bottleneck as that would only take a little over 1 minute even with a 10Mbps link.
kamalkant
Influencer

Post by kamalkant »

Thanks Tsightler, I got your point. So no problem with throttling i believe... In fact there is an other reason I suspect, I noticed the WAN link is used even if the replication jobs are not running. My suspect is that other backup jobs (which I had defined in past) have started using my proxy server, as I have set automatic selection of proxy in my backup jobs. Is this the actual issue with my bandwidth usage?
I can see in throttling is my bottleneck for few of my job which runs using automatic selection of backup Proxy.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kamalkant wrote:I can see in throttling is my bottleneck for few of my job which runs using automatic selection of backup Proxy.
You can check which proxy serves are being used via job log session.
kamalkant
Influencer

Post by kamalkant » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Vitaliy,
I found that in my logs. it was the other jobs which was consuming the WAN Link. I am glad to say that my throttling issue are resolved now.
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] Network Traffic Throttling not working

Post by itfnb »

I'm sorry for posting on this topic, but I've read all the existing threads and the provided help and I'm still at a loss.

Anyways, we've made use of Veeam B&R for quite a while now for local backups (we LOVE it!) and now we've added off-site replication into the mix. Because of that, I need to get the traffic throttling to leave some space on the 6Mbps MPLS connection. Can anyone see something I'm doing wrong???

Setup with similar IP arrangement:

Local LAN: 10.10.0.x > Direct SAN connection using physical B&R server as local Source Proxy @ 10.10.0.10 > 6Mbps MPLS > Destination LAN: 10.10.2.x > B&R Target Proxy on VM using HotAdd @ 10.10.2.10

Global Network Traffic Throttling rules:

Source IP Address Range: 10.10.0.1 - 10.10.0.254
Target IP Address Range: 10.10.2.1 - 10.10.2.254

Throttle Network Traffic to: 4 Mbps
Apply This Rule: All the time

(Use multiple TCP/IP connections per job is Unchecked since I run concurrent jobs for a our local backups.)

Ideas??? THANKS!!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Network Traffic Throttling not working

Post by Gostev »

Hello, your setup looks good from the description above. I recommend that you do a webex session with our support to troubleshoot this more efficiently. Please include the support case ID for future reference as well. Thanks!
haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

[MERGED] Traffic throttling

Post by haslund »

Hi all!

I am having some issues getting traffic throttling to work.

The setup:
Main site: Physical machine with Veeam B&R 6.5 installed also acting as backup repository
Remote site: ESXi 5.1 host with VM running as backup proxy hotadd (this VM is excluded from backup).

It seems the traffic throttle has no effect. I tried reversing source/target ip range but that did not help.
Is it because Veeam has to be running on a different machine than the backup repository before throttling will work?

Thank you in advance :)
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Network traffic throttling rules do not apply

Post by Gostev »

Should work fine. Read up some common mistakes in this topic, and open a support case if nothing stands out. There are no known issues with traffic throttling, all issues reported so far ended up to be configuration errors.
lemmy
Novice
Full Name: Lemmy

[MERGED] bandwidth throttling. what am I doing wrong?

Post by lemmy »

We've been doing some testing of replicating some VMs to our hotsite.

We simply cant seem to get the bandwidth throttling to work properly. The pipe between our sites is a full 40mbps. Every time we run a replication job, the full 40mpbs is being used. We've set the setup to use 20, 10,5 even 1mpbs and still we are seeing the full pipe being used for the replication job.

esxi 5.1 + veeam 7.0

any idea on why this is happening? not a problem at night but during business hours its causing problems.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: bandwidth throttling. what am I doing wrong?

Post by veremin »

Hi, Lemmy. Please be aware that throttling rules are applied between two Veeam agents. In case of remote replication, they would be implemented between two proxy servers. So, the question is – do you have proxy servers deployed at both ends (source, target)? Thanks.
lemmy
Novice

Re: bandwidth throttling. what am I doing wrong?

Post by lemmy »

yes, i have a local proxy on my production site and proxy on my DR site.

my setup takes into account my respective IP ranges at both ends.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Lemmy, please review the topic above for possible hints. If nothing helps, I suggest opening a case with technical support.
lemmy
Novice

Post by lemmy »

hello,

I wanted to bring everyone else up to speed. After having my ticket escalated to level 2, it would appear that there is a bug with bandwidth throttling in version 7.

I am waiting to hear back on a fix/patch.

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this was passed to R&D recently and is currently under investigation. Will update the thread once I get any additional information.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, this was confirmed to be an issue. Traffic throttling does not work in Veeam B&R v7 if the "Use multiple upload streams per job" check box in the Traffic Throttling dialog is cleared. Will be fixed in the update.
talong99
Influencer
Full Name: Todd Long

Post by talong99 »

I've just recently upgraded to v7 and the throttling rules that worked in v6.5 are no longer working. I have verified that the "Use multiple upload streams per job" box IS in deed checked. I've upgraded a client's B&R to v7 and the throttling rules on their server are working fine...

My environment: B&R Server (Server 2012) - Remote Proxy (Windows 7 x64)
Their environment: B&R Server (Server 2008 R2) - Remote Proxy (Server 2003 x32)

Any ideas? Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can't say much without seeing full log files...
CaptainFred
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Si

Post by CaptainFred »

foggy wrote:Ok, this was confirmed to be an issue. Traffic throttling does not work in Veeam B&R v7 if the "Use multiple upload streams per job" check box in the Traffic Throttling dialog is cleared. Will be fixed in the update.
Fixed in Patch 1 (version 7.0.0.715) ?

I don't think so because I have the same problem as well. I guess I'll raise a support case :roll: