Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lukeup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke

Best way to copy VM to test lab

Post by lukeup »

Hello,

I have a Veeam Enterprise server creating backups to storage and also replicas to a DR ESXi host. What is the best/easiest way to copy VMs to a standalone test server that is not on the network? I have already successfully restored backups but this involved setting up a test Veeam server as well in order to do the restore of VBK files.

Would it be a better idea to copy the replicas complete folder (raw data) to the test lab datastore via USB drive, as the replica is not running, and then start it up using the vSphere client? Or use Veeam copy to get a raw copy on a USB drive and copy that?

I know there are many ways to do this but what is the most efficient way for a test environment?

Thanks
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Best way to copy VM to test lab

Post by dellock6 »

No chance to connect the test ESXi to the network? That would solve half of your problems. If it's because there would be duplicated IPs, you can simply fence the networks, just like for example Veeam does with its Virtual Lab appliance.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Best way to copy VM to test lab

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

lukeup wrote:Would it be a better idea to copy the replicas complete folder (raw data) to the test lab datastore via USB drive, as the replica is not running, and then start it up using the vSphere client? Or use Veeam copy to get a raw copy on a USB drive and copy that?
Not the best idea for sure, as your VM virtual disks will be automatically converted to thick disks (thin disks is a VMFS feature only). If I were you I would either connect your standalone host to the network our use VeeamZIP functionality to offload your production VM to the test server.