Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
richhartdr
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Don Richhart

Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint (VEMS) - BETA

Post by richhartdr »

I'm trying out the new Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint (VEMS) beta, and have successfully configured it no problem.

A few tips regarding pre-requisites for people though:
- You'll need the same version or newer MS SQL server installed ON THE VEEAM SERVER.
- If you want to mount a SharePoint DB larger than 10GB, you'll need the FULL version, express will not cut it.

That noted, config is a cinch, but here's my question:

I can successfully mount a SINGLE SharePoint DB no problem, it mounts, I can browse, everything works great. My problem is when I try to mount a SharePoint DB that is NOT a SINGLE DB, but instead, in my case, 3 DB's which are part of a single SQL 'filegroup.' When I try to add the database to VEMS, I get: (note, the errors below are for the 2nd and 3rd DB of the filegroup, not the 1st..I see not errors for that one)

---
unable to open the physical file "<path>"
The system cannot find the file specified.
Could not open new database.
CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
---

Looks like it's maybe not capable of figuring out the path to the other two associated DB's. So, is this supported currently and I am doing something wrong? Will it be supported so me and many others can make use of VEMS? If this is not supported, it will be useless for my organization.

Thanks Veeam...this is certainly the right direction!
Don
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint (VEMS) - BETA

Post by foggy »

Don, first of all, thanks for the feedback regarding the new tool! Much appreciated.

Regarding the particular issue, I asked QC for a research, seems they haven't tested this type of databases and this is not currently supported. I will keep you posted regarding the ability to support this in the final release once I get some information. Thanks for heads up!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Currently, you can try the following as a workaround:

1. Browse to the database files you are getting error with (under C:\VeeamFLR folder).
2. Create the same folder hierarchy on the backup console server itself (keeping the original drive letter).
3. Copy those database files there.
4. Database files should be automatically located on opening the main database in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint.

Should work.
richhartdr
Enthusiast

Post by richhartdr »

Thanks foggy, I appreciate you and the team's work on this. MS best practices regarding SQL and SharePoint make us split our SharePoint portal into multiple DB's within a single SQL 'filegroup' to maintain manageable DB's and performance levels. I would expect this to be more the norm, than not. Last I checked, MS says 100GB for content databases, and to use multiple content databases (via SQL filegroups) if necessary. Today, in our environment anyway, 100GB is nothing for what we store in SharePoint.

BTW - We are running SharePoint 2010 on MS SQL 2008 R2.

foggy - you replied while I was typing the above...lol...I'll give your workaround a go now...

Cheers!
richhartdr
Enthusiast

Post by richhartdr »

foggy wrote:Currently, you can try the following as a workaround:

1. Browse to the database files you are getting error with (under C:\VeeamFLR folder).
2. Create the same folder hierarchy on the backup console server itself (keeping the original drive letter).
3. Copy those database files there.
4. Add these databases in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint manually.

Should work.
@foggy - Can you explain step 2? When I browse to the local C:\VeeamFLR\<server_name_here\Volume4 I'm already on the C: of the backup console server itself...as this is where I'm running the VEMS tool from.

Here are my steps in case I'm missing something:
1. (on the Veeam Backup Server itself) - Restore wizard to 'Restore guest files (Windows)' - This completes and I get the local path you describe in step 1 (C:\VeeamFLR\<server_name_here\Volume4)
2. (on the same Veeam backup server) - In the Backup Browser window, I browse to the database files path and pick 'open in explorer' and copy the path.
3. (on the same Veeam backup server) - Open VEMS and use this same path to point to the main DB file (file 1 of the filegroup).
4. I get the error.

What am I missing? Sorry. :)

FYI - Due to a recent recovery of a site, I did have these three DB's on a local drive to this server, and tried to mount them (not part of Veeam restore at all)...same error. I don't see how you say to add MORE THAN ONE databases in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint manually...it does not see them as one and errors on the first one I try. I can successfully add multiple DB's to VEMS that are NOT in a 'filegroup'...this works fine.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You need to create the same folder structure on Veeam B&R console as you have on the backed up SharePoint server. For example, if the database files originally stored in the folder F:\SharePoint on the SharePoint server and you locate them under C:\VeeamFLR\<server_name_here\Volume4\SharePoint, you need to reproduce the F:\SharePoint path on the Veeam B&R console, copy files there and they should automatically be located on opening the main database in Veeam Explorer (no manual addition, sorry for that; I edited my previous post to reflect that). Hope this helps.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In fact, the exact path where the database files should be located on Veeam B&R console and the database file name are displayed in the error message you get - you can use Ctrl+C in the message window to copy them from there.
richhartdr
Enthusiast

Post by richhartdr »

Hmmm, I understand fully now, thank you. Problem is, I already have H: drive setup on this server, one of my backup repositories, and it does not have enough drive space to accommodate all three of my SharePoint DB files. :/

Am I out of luck without expanding my repository drive (H:)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Actually, I assume you need two NDF files only to be located there. Currently this beta version looks for additional database files in their original location. This will be addressed in the release version.
richhartdr
Enthusiast

Post by richhartdr »

Excellent point, I should only need the two NDF's...which I barely have room for...but at least I CAN try this now. I'll post my success or fail, but sounds like this will be addressed in the release version, which is super good news. :)

Thanks foggy, and have a great week...
richhartdr
Enthusiast

Post by richhartdr » 1 person likes this post

Just reporting back to Veeam and any viewers...

This workaround worked for me...the VEMS is a little sluggish, but I'm guessing that's probably more our SharePoint DB size and environment...

Thanks again foggy!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad to hear it worked for you. Thanks for getting back with the results, now we know the workaround works. ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

richhartdr wrote:the VEMS is a little sluggish, but I'm guessing that's probably more our SharePoint DB size and environment...
Or maybe because this is still an early beta? :wink:
richhartdr
Enthusiast

Post by richhartdr » 1 person likes this post

;) I'm the network admin that questions everything on MY end first...only then, once I'm sure, I look and question elsewhere. The few, the proud... ;)

I look forward to this added functionality for SharePoint, it will be a life saver! Thanks Veeam Team!
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

I'm not really a sharepoint expert... but I'm getting an erro from VEMS when trying to "add a database".

"Directory lookup for the file "C:\VeeamFL...\Sharepoint_Teamsites.mdf" failed with the operating system error 3 (failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)."

edit: Apparently that is a "System cannot find the path specified" error.

Veeam server is W2012 with Veeam build 6.5.0.133 (64Bit)
SP Database Server is W2008R2 + SQL 10.50.1600 (R2 no SP).
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

Well, realised the lack of SQL on my Backup Server was the issue - but now i'm getting a new error...

"Could not open new database xxxxxxx" "create database is aborted. File activation failure. The physical file name xxxx may be incorrect". "The log cannot be rebuilt because there were open transactions/users when the database was shutdown, No checkpoint occured to the database, or the database was read-only. This error could occur if the transaction log file was manually deleted or lost due to a hardware or environment failure."

^^ Thats if I try and load it via the VeeamFLR mountpoint.

If I copy it to my backup server, I get "Access Denied".
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Well, realised the lack of SQL on my Backup Server was the issue.
I’m wondering what version of SQL server you installed.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

mongie wrote:"Could not open new database xxxxxxx" "create database is aborted. File activation failure. The physical file name xxxx may be incorrect". "The log cannot be rebuilt because there were open transactions/users when the database was shutdown, No checkpoint occured to the database, or the database was read-only. This error could occur if the transaction log file was manually deleted or lost due to a hardware or environment failure."
Is there a chance that the backup was done without proper VSS quiescence (and hence the transaction logs are inconsistent)?
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

No, definately had application processing turned on.

It seems to be more an issue with write permissions or something... given that the error is different when I've copied the file out of the backup.
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

v.Eremin wrote: I’m wondering what version of SQL server you installed.

Thanks.
2012 Standard SP1.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It seems to be more an issue with write permissions or something.
Hmmm, then it stands to reason to clarify what account is being used in your case? Does it have full control NTFS permissions to the given file? Does it have these permissions through group membership or they are granted to it directly?

Thanks.
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

The account I'm using is in domain admins... I have full permissions via domain admins being in the local admin group on the server.

Any logging or anything that I can look at to see some more info?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can you manually assign the same file permissions that the local admin group has directly to Domain Account which is being used and see whether it helps?

Sometimes generic "Access denied" error might happen, when files permissions are given to the account through group membership and not directly granted to it.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

mongie wrote:If I copy it to my backup server, I get "Access Denied".
Two problems seem to have different nature. While we are trying to reproduce the initial one (opening via the VeeamFLR mount point), what folder on the backup server are you copying the database file to before getting access denied? Is it probably some subfolder of the user profile (Desktop, for example)? If yes, try to copy it to some other folder, for example any subfolder of the disk C:\. This is what we could reproduce internally (access denied from the Desktop folder).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Also, it would be great if you could open a case with our support service providing them with the backup and restore job logs, probably they will give some additional information (for example, VSS quiescence could be enabled but failed to process the VM, this will be clear from the log). Please put [VESPbeta] in the support case summary and provide the case ID here for reference. Thanks!
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

foggy wrote: Two problems seem to have different nature. While we are trying to reproduce the initial one (opening via the VeeamFLR mount point), what folder on the backup server are you copying the database file to before getting access denied? Is it probably some subfolder of the user profile (Desktop, for example)? If yes, try to copy it to some other folder, for example any subfolder of the disk C:\. This is what we could reproduce internally (access denied from the Desktop folder).
It was the desktop. I'll try from c:\temp or something...

Edit: That worked... now to get it to work from the VeeamFLR mount.
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

Logged a ticket... #00196884
mvb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Markus Veutner

Post by mvb »

Hi,

we are currently testing the VEMS and found following interesting part:
Our sharepoint works with an SQL server with filestream enabled mode
Bringing it to work in VEMS required to enable filestream support on the recovery server as well
Furthermore, we needed to copy the filestream folder out of the backup and had to replace the file&folder permissions

After that VEMS mounted the database corretly.
BUT:
Filenames aren't shown.
Instead only some cryptic numbers show up.
Foldernames are completly blank.

Seems smonething with the BLOBs in sharepoint doesn't get handled well....

Any idea?

Best regards
Markus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Markus, can you please send the debug logs and screenshots to our support team with a [v7beta] tag for further review? It would help us to reproduce this issue internally. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I believe beta simply did not support BLOB storage... this thread and code is almost 3 months old now ;)