Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Serge Adam

Licensing

Post by sergeadam »

Can Tier-A and Tier-B licenses be combined in a single licence file? I have a mix of 6 and 8 cores servers and a single Enterprise server.

And you really have to go to additive licenses. Every time I acquire a host, I end up with a license for that host, and then a combined license. The potential for abuse is great.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Licensing

Post by Gostev »

Hi Serge, no different tiers cannot be combined into a single license file. We are considering some changes in v7 which should simplify licensing. Thanks for your feedback!
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Post by jlester »

Gostev,

I just upgraded four of my CPU licenses from Tier A to Tier B for two servers that are being upgraded from dual/4-core to dual/8-core models. I also purchased two new Tier B CPU licenses and renewed support for all of our other CPUs. I only received a single license file with all the CPUs though. From your reply, it seems that this is not correct. In the license window in Veeam, it does not seem to indicate anything about Tier A vs Tier B. How can I find out if my license file is correct?

Thanks,
Jason
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jlester wrote:I only received a single license file with all the CPUs though.
This is correct, assuming you have the same tier licensed. The license key doesn't contain tier indication.
jlester
Enthusiast

Post by jlester »

I have 6 Tier B licenses and 14 Tier A. However, the license file I received is for 20 CPUs. I did not receive separate license files for the two tiers.

Jason
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

What I meant is that we cannot issue combined license file with a separate socket count for different tires, because the license file format does not have support for this. This also means we do not have a capability in the product to track license usage per socket tier.

So instead, what is issued is the license file for total socket count without any tier indication, and it is on you to ensure the license compliance around CPU socket tiers.
jlester
Enthusiast

Post by jlester »

Ah, that makes sense. I haven't replaced the servers yet, so I wanted to make sure everything was correct before I do.

Thanks,
Jason