Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MicErd
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Erdmann

Preparation for the day my veeam backup server crashes

Post by MicErd »

Hi there,
I would like to know, how to prepare for the case my veeam backup server crashes. Is it enough to backup the backupfiles to tape, and in case of crash install veeam backup new and import the backup files? But what info stores the database?
Help needed!
Regards
Michael
Helqasem
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Hani El-Qasem

Re: Preparation for the day my veeam backup server crashes

Post by Helqasem »

Hi Micheal,

Before v6.5, you could replicate the Enterprise Manager, Console and DB if they were installed in a VM.

In v6.5 however, we have introduced the ability to back-up the configuration to a repository. To recover from this you simply install Veeam and import the configuration. This works great where the Veeam Server is physical.

Hope this helps.
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

Hi Michael. Yes backup files can be imported into a new install of Veeam. Restores can even be performed with out a B&R server with extract.exe
How you want to protect you backup files is entirely up to you as you suggested you can use tape or you could replicate to an offsite location.

I personally have a local (working day to day backup)
Offsite backup (Backup of the backup) I am currently running Veeam jobs for this but will be moving to replication tool soon.
Offsite Replicas (For DR)
I back up and replicate my Veeam server to my DR site too. Edit I will no longer be doing this once I get round to upgrading to 6.5 :D

Kev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hani is referring to the functionality which is described in our User Guide (page 297), please take a look.
betster
Lurker
Full Name: Simon Labbett

[MERGED] Warm Site DR Question

Post by betster »

Hi

Have a unique situation here as we are leveraging our main IT Department and their offsite DR. We use VBR to backup our production servers, currently to our iSCSI SAN, soon to be a volume from their Fibre SAN.
They will use a job to copy that volume to offsite storage every day utilizing their fibre connection, not over network. They have VMWare Infrastructure out there that we would like to use as a warm backup ready to deploy quickly if we have an issue.

What options do i have to make that area a warm site that is ready to deploy if we experience issues here? My thoughts were to have another VBR server out there that is installed on their DR VMWare Infrastructure that can utilize that copied volume to reinstantiate our VMs. Is that a licensing issue? Would it work for that purpose?

If I have missed anything pertinent please let me know and I will try to answer. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can always import the backup file to another/newly installed Veeam B&R console and make it ready for restore. Otherwise, you can use a standalone utility (extract.exe) coming with Veeam B&R and allowing to restore VMs from any VBK file created by Veeam B&R, even without the product installed.

There will be no licensing issues since only the hosts where the backed up/replicated VMs reside should be licensed.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Helqasem wrote:Hi Micheal,

Before v6.5, you could replicate the Enterprise Manager, Console and DB if they were installed in a VM.

In v6.5 however, we have introduced the ability to back-up the configuration to a repository. To recover from this you simply install Veeam and import the configuration. This works great where the Veeam Server is physical.

Hope this helps.
Surely you would need a copy of your SQL server database?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

No, all you need is the configuration backup. With that, you will be able to restore the complete configuration into to the fresh/clean database.
betster
Lurker
Full Name: Simon Labbett

Post by betster »

Thanks for the responses, I will continue on with my planning then. Appreciate the help!
squirrelly
Novice
Full Name: Patrick Hurley

Post by squirrelly »

The default backup repository is on the server that might fail. How do I point the default backup repository to another device?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just create the new backup repository on another device.
squirrelly
Novice
Full Name: Patrick Hurley

Post by squirrelly »

Where is that done within the application?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please refer to the "Adding backup repositories" section of the User Guide.