Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ThinkGrid
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

feature request: save Job configuration

Post by ThinkGrid » 1 person likes this post

[merged]

Hi

I'm pretty sure it's being mentioned before but i'll say it again :)

I think it's a good idead that you start looking into the option of saving the Job settings as this would make life so much easier

Just the way you have done with importing the backed up data with .vbm, make it possible that the job settings are exported and imported. This comes about as I have created new vCenters and need to point existing jobs to these new vCenters but it means I'll have to re-create jobs from scratch

Regards
Petrit
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Re: feature request: save Job configuration

Post by lobo519 »

I second the motion!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: import/Export backup job

Post by foggy »

Remember that Enterprise edition allows to clone the jobs using Enterprise Manager.
jonan1987
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Ander Gonzalez Calvo

Exporting jobs

Post by jonan1987 »

[merged]

Hello,

I have a veeam backup server installed in a virtual machine. Now I've purchased a physical server and I've installer a windows server 2008 R2 enterprise.
I want to install the veeam backup in this new server, but in the old virtual server I have all the jobs configured and are a lot of they.
It's possible to export the jobs to a file and import to the new installation of Veeam in the new server?

Thanks
hansis100
Influencer

Export configuration

Post by hansis100 »

[merged]

Hello!

I have to setup a new veeam-Server.
Is it possible to export the settings and the jobs?

thx.
hansi
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: import export job

Post by foggy »

Upcoming Veeam B&R v6.5 will allow to backup and restore its entire configuration settings (so all jobs - not the individual jobs).
hansis100
Influencer

Post by hansis100 »

when will new version be available?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Q4
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

cloning the jobs is somewhat useless because we typically want to move the jobs to another existing server, not just create an exact same job on the exact same server.
I am in the process of putting all my jobs on my DR server and turning the existing servers into proxyies only, but you can't just clone/move an existing job to a new server.
The import/export is a great feature if I wanted to move to a new hardware, but really thats just as simple to do with SQL manager (backup and restore database)

For the love of freaking god, allow us to move jobs between backup servers...really...its NOT THAT DIFFICULT...its all stored in a damn database...if you can clone the job on the same server (which injects the job into the database, you can inject it into the database on another server.
At that point all we should need to do is edit the repository and force a full backup

I really can't see why this has taken so freaking long to accomplish...its frustrating as hell to have to freaking re-create these jobs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Rumple wrote:I really can't see why this has taken so freaking long to accomplish
Actually, it is very simple. This feature have had a low priority, because there is no use case behind moving the jobs periodically from one server to another. It is a very rare occurrence when you need to do something like this, if at all. Why would prioritize features that are required once in a life time at best, when we have hundreds of pending features which you would benefit from daily?
Rumple wrote:I am in the process of putting all my jobs on my DR server and turning the existing servers into proxyies only
So, how often are you going to do something like this in future in your environment, once you are done with the current move?
jwhalen
Novice
Full Name: Jim Whalen

[MERGED] Import Export Job

Post by jwhalen »

Does Veeam BR 6.5 have the ability to export a job? I have searched some threads and though it appears this was on the drawing board as long ago as 2010 I do not see this functionality in the current version. I see Enterprise manager has the ability to Clone and Edit jobs which is nice but I would like to export the job configuration from one Veeam server and import it on another server. I realize the entire configuration can be exported but I was looking for something more granular. Is this functionality hiding somewhere? If not is this feature on the roadmap?

Jim
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jim, you can only import/export backup jobs with the options you've already mentioned in your post, no extra functionality is available. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jim. The job can be also cloned locally by the means of PowerShell:

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VbRjob -name "Name of your Job"
Copy-VBRJob -job $Job
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, if you’re willing to copy job from remote VB&R server, you need firstly to connect to remote PowerShell instance, using invoke-command, or whatever, then collect everything you want to.

The following example will give a little more understanding how this process should be scripted:

Code: Select all

#First part (Remote)

Asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of the job you're willing to copy"
$Names = ($Job | Get-VBRJobObject).name
$Options = $Job.GetOptions()
$VSSOptions = $Job.GetVssOptions()

#Second part (Local)

Asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Server = Get-VBRServer | ?{($_.type -eq "vc") -and (($_.name -eq "Name of your VC") )} 
$Entity = foreach ($name in $Names)
{
   Find-VBRViEntity -Server $Server | ? {($_.name -eq $Name)}
}
$Repository = Get-VBRBackupRepository -name "Name of your repository"
Add-VBRViBackupJob -Entity $Entity -Name "Name of the job you're willing to create" -BackupRepository $Repository
Start-sleep -s 5
$Job2 = Get-VBRJob | ? {$_.name -eq "Name of the job you're willing to create"}
$Job2.SetOptions($Options)
$Job2.SetVssOptions($VSSOptions) 
First part of the abovementioned script is responsible for collecting job settings and should be executed on remote machine; second part will create a new job on your local machine and pass previously collected settings to it.

Please be aware that manual input is only required if in the settings of the job which you’re willing to copy there is a particular proxy server specified; it won’t be copied and you will need to set proxy server afterwards.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

v.Eremin wrote:Otherwise, if you’re willing to copy job from remote VB&R server, you need firstly to connect to remote PowerShell instance, using invoke-command, or whatever, then collect everything you want to.
I've used the powershell version of moving jobs on multiple times when doing different types of migrations.
Read out objects, job.options and job.vssoptions and then setting repository from within the powershell where I create the new job.

Also note that if you have user password for vss and indexing this password hash till change when moving to a new B&R server. I typicality set up one job manually and copy the hashed password from this job.

This process of exporting and importing jobs between B&R servers works very well and allows me to change repository in the process.

BR Tobias
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Read out objects, job.options and job.vssoptions and then setting repository from within the powershell where I create the new job.
Yep, that’s actually what the script provided above is doing – copying settings and passing them to newly created job.

Thanks.
jwhalen
Novice
Full Name: Jim Whalen

Post by jwhalen »

v.Eremin & Tobias - thank you very much for the code and pointers. This should solve my problem.

I'm not against a right-click -- Export Job in the future but at least I don't have to manually re-create jobs. :wink: I guess this doesn't come up very often, at least there is a solution.
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

[MERGED] move multiple jobs to other backup server

Post by AlexL »

Because of performance problems I need to move between 40 and 50 backups jobs and 40 to 50 backup copy jobs to a new backup server. On the old server there will remain the remaining 40-50 backup + 40-50 copy jobs.

How would I best go about this without manually recreating all backup and backup copy jobs AND keep the existing backups and backup copies.

Problem with using powershell for the backup jobs is that lots of jobs have "special settings", like excluded disks, credentials for application aware processing etc.

Would a restore/import of the configuration database of the old server on the new server help me in this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Alex, please review the most recent posts in this thread above, should give you some hints. You actually can use PowerShell to perform what you're after.

Another, probably more easy approach is to export/import the entire backup server configuration and then disable/remove those jobs you do not need on the second backup server.
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexL »

to be clear, I can just install with a new/clean sql database and then import the configuration database from the old server and then remove the jobs that I don't need, right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct.
PaulNSW
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by PaulNSW »

I would like to export all the backup jobs from my Backup-VM, and import them into my Replication-VM, so that everything is being coordinated with one Veeam server.

I tried using the "restore configuration" option, but it wants to replace the database on the Replication-VM. I assume this is not a good idea? Is there another way to just import all the jobs from the Backup-VM. Is it only the PowerShell example given before by v.Eremin?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Are you saying that you want just to copy the settings of one backup job and pass those to a replication job, right?