jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

backup VM with specify Partition

Post by jamerson »

Dear all,
i have on my lab ( still testing Veeam), 3 VM machines running on Vsphere 5.1
Machine one = DC which is 40 GB ( domain controller)
Machine two = EX which is 140 GB ( Exchange server )
Machine Three = FS which is 1.7 TB ( File server and Backup server)

FS server is partitioned to 3 Partitions=
1 OS = 100GB ( used 50GB)
2 Data = 1TB ( used 70GB)
3 Data backup = 600GB ( used 0 GB)
i want to schedule a job to back-up the 3 VMWare machines daily on the backup Partition (600GB ) on the FS, excluding the Partition 3 on the FS, how can i performace this?
i want to schedule a full back-up job once a week to backup the whole 3 Vms DC, EX, FS ( excluiding Partition 3 databack on the FS server) on my External HDD 1TB , how can in do this?

thank you so much
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: backup VM with specify Partition

Post by Gostev »

Hi Julien, you can exclude specific disks from backup jobs with the exclusions functionality (Exclusions button in the backup job wizard). The user interface for this feature is pretty straight forward, however should you need more info please refer to the User Guide. Thanks!
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Gostev wrote:Hi Julien, you can exclude specific disks from backup jobs with the exclusions functionality (Exclusions button in the backup job wizard). The user interface for this feature is pretty straight forward, however should you need more info please refer to the User Guide. Thanks!
HI Gostev,
i looked on the manual and there is nothing to specify this, however after excluding the disks the size still remain 1.6 TB, i am still on test lab, so what i''ve done is i recreat a new Machine with 3 disks, Disk 0 40GB disk 1 600GB and Disk 32500 Disk
when i created a job to back just the OS system i excluded the disks 1 and 2 but the size of the VM still remain 1.6 TB !
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The size of the VM still remain 1.6 TB !
The size that is shown the GUI doesn’t reflect the reality. It’s a known GUI glitch that GUI doesn’t take into account disk exclusion, showing constantly full VM size. Moreover, it will be fixed in the next version of VB&R.

Or you’re talking about the situation when you’ve excluded given disk, however, it is still being processed by backup job?

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Correct Ermin, even the disks are excluded it taking the whole 3 disks for backup job,
i want just to backup one partition, after it does, i can mount the virtual disk and restores files and folders,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are these disks virtual disks? Or they are nothing but partitions of one virtual disk? I’m asking, since VB&R exclusions are implemented on virtual disk level and not on partition one.

Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

all the 3 disks are Virtual, i am on Vsphere 5
Disk 0
Disk 1
Disk 2
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Then it sounds like you simply did not configure the disk exclusion correctly. Please open a support case, and our engineer will help you with setting the exclusions up via the webex. Thanks!
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Gostev wrote:Then it sounds like you simply did not configure the disk exclusion correctly. Please open a support case, and our engineer will help you with setting the exclusions up via the webex. Thanks!
i've read somewhere, recoverying a partition will need to reboot the server before, is true?
let says i backed up disk 1 who contins data ad want to recovery it, do i need to reboot the server to apply ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Julien,

You can add new virtual disks to the VM configuration without powering this VM down.

Thanks!
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Julien,

You can add new virtual disks to the VM configuration without powering this VM down.

Thanks!
hey Vitality,
i didn''t says add but i recovery,
i took a back up of a disk 2 ( contain 1 partition for data), after i want to recovery this partition it asked me to reboot the OS,
this what i meant
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

jamerson wrote:i've read somewhere, recoverying a partition will need to reboot the server before, is true?
let says i backed up disk 1 who contins data ad want to recovery it, do i need to reboot the server to apply ?
No, unless adding the volume requires Windows OS to go through new hardware/driver installations, for example if this volume never existed in that VM before (which is not the case for scenario you are explaining).

I recommend you simply test all recovery scenarios you are interested in on a copy of your application servers, so you know exactly what to expect and are completely prepared to handle the outage.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

once again thank you for the help and continu support really appreciate it,
i''ll hold my breath till the version 7 will be released .