Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

How to create empty database

Post by spgsit5upport »

I do not care what is in my DB, I need to start from scratch
What would be the easiest way (apart from uninstall/reinstall) to create blank SQL database for use with Veeam B&R?

Seb
spgsit5upport
Expert

Re: How to create empty database

Post by spgsit5upport »

It is just easier to uninstall & reinstall (creating new DB in the process), as per this
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you’re after creating a completely new and instance of Veeam database, then, I’d agree that it’s probably worth uninstalling/reinstalling it from the scratch.

However, please be aware that the provided article is primarily concerned with backing up/moving Veeam database. Moreover, it describes an obsolete procedure - today it’s Configuration Backup feature that should be used for such purposes.

This feature was introduced in 6.5 version and it is responsible for retrieving configuration data from the SQL database.

In other words, there is no longer need for backing up VB&R server as a whole. All you need in disaster situation, when your back up server goes down, is reinstall your B&R software and restore configuration files.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport »

I only pointed the article for the very part (and ONLY this part, which is true then & now)

There may be other ways to 're-point' Veeam to the new database server (registry hacks), but for all intensive purposes it takes literally less than 5 minutes to install Veeam so i found this the easiest route.
rmay_bk
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED] Does Veeam B&R have a configuration reset procedure?

Post by rmay_bk »

Is there a way to remove ALL configuration and put Veeam B&R back to a greenfield state without having to reinstall the product?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

What you need is to provision the new configuration database, and point your Veeam server to it. Unlike 7 years ago when this topic started, the second part is now easy with the this utility.

The problem is database creation script is a part of setup, and we don't seem to provide a script to provision the new database outside of setup (only Veeam ONE seem to provide such utility).

So I'm afraid reinstall is the only way to go. However, the good news is that reinstall will certainly take much less time then the time you were waiting for me to respond to your post :D
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

It appears that since some time Management Studio natively allows to generate DB creation script including schema and objects only and clone it to a file or a new query. At least, that's how far stackoverflow took me.

For future cases, as an option, you can perform configuration backup right after VBR installation and restore on-demand. Cheers!