Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Veeam One Guest Disk space does not stay resolved.

Post by jadams159 »

I have a couple VMs that are throwing the "Guest disk space" alarm despite the fact that I have freed up space on the drives. They are both Windows Server 2003 VMs. Running on vSphere 5.1. One is one our domain, one is not. I have tried manually resolve the alarm on each VM only to have the alarm return about a minute later.

I had another server, Windows Server 2012, and it threw a disk space alarm, I cleared up some space, and the alarm resolved itself and hasn't returned.

Any ideas where to look?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam One Guest Disk space does not stay resolved.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Justin,

Can you please tell me if you have the latest VMware Tools installed on these VMs?

Thanks!
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

OK, so this morning both VMs were still there listed in Alarms. I upgraded vmTools on one of them (I just recently upgraded to 5.1), and now NEITHER of them show up with an active disk space alarm.

What's going on here? FWIW: I first noticed this early last week.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Guest disk space info is collected via VIX API (VMware Tools), so all updates on the disk space usage are retrieved immediately after this info gets available from VMware.

Can you please tell me what does Summary tab (guest disks space view) show for the VMs in question? Is it up-to-date?
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

The Guest Disk Summary is correct, but like I said, both VMs are no longer reporting the false positive. It appears that everything is fine, even though I only upgraded one of the VMs vmTools. Go figure.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Most likely VMware didn't refresh this data, thus the alarm was in active state for all that time.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Over the course of a week? Seems like a long time for it not to refresh. If it happens again, where can I go in the vSphere client to see if VMware has the correct information to share with VeeamOne?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case I would suggest contacting our support team for the instructions on how to verify this information (not sure it is available through the GUI).
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Now both VMs are back listed with low disk space, but clearly they are not.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please contact our technical team for further investigation and update this thread with your ticket number for future readers convenience. Thanks!
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Case # 00206278

I have since upgraded to 6.5 (and the latest patch) hoping that would help, but the false positives remained after the upgrade. However, frustratingly enough the false positives have disappeared again and now I can only wait for them to return.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the case ID, I will ask our dev team to take a look at your debug logs.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

OK, I have a little more information on what is going on. The false positive alarms are not disappearing and reappearing. It depends on the view I am on. In Infrastructure View, when I am viewing the Alarms tab of the vCenter server, the false alarms ARE NOT present. When I am in Alarms tab on the parent object “Virtual Infrastructure”, the false alarms ARE present. Manually resolving the alarm only temporarily removes it for a moment.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

More info.

This is related to my DR environment. Still investigating, but it appears that a test failover with SRM has triggered the alarms in my DR site, and now I cannot clear the alarms. Technically those VMs are just "placeholder" VMs in the DR site now, so I'm a little unclear how to resolve the alarms in the DR site.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jadams159 wrote:when I am viewing the Alarms tab of the vCenter server, the false alarms ARE NOT present. When I am in Alarms tab on the parent object “Virtual Infrastructure”, the false alarms ARE present. Manually resolving the alarm only temporarily removes it for a moment.
Do you have the same alarm filters applied on these views?
jadams159 wrote:This is related to my DR environment. Still investigating, but it appears that a test failover with SRM has triggered the alarms in my DR site, and now I cannot clear the alarms. Technically those VMs are just "placeholder" VMs in the DR site now, so I'm a little unclear how to resolve the alarms in the DR site.
So this issue can be reproduced if you test a failover operation via SRM... I wonder what moref ID these VMs have on the DR site...Have you heard any news from our tech guys?