Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
briggs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

Veeam on Win 7 instead of server 2003?

Post by briggs »

Hi,
We're about to deploy a VMWare cluster, running 2 live hosts (4 CPU sockets total) with around 13 VM's across them.
We potentially needs a Windows 2003 R2 license free for another server we're migrating, and we don't have the luxury of more than 1 sing spare license, so if we use that, Veeam will have to be deployed on Windows 7.
Buying a new Windows server license is not really an option, so can we get away with using Veeam (standard edition) on Windows7 64-bit instead of a Win2003 R2 server OS?
What disadvantages will I face, I'm talking actual noticeable failings here, not theoretical limitations?
Has anyone got Veeam on Win7 for a production environment? It'll be backing up lots of those VM's daily, total data across all VM's of around 3TB currently. Will it cope?

Many thanks, Alan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam on Win 7 instead of server 2003?

Post by foggy »

Alan, Veeam B&R is licensed per physical CPU socket of source hosts (where protected VMs reside), not by the OS it is installed on. Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 is among supported OS's (please review system requirements provided in the release notes document available with your download).

Hope this helps.
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

Sorry, I maybe didn't explain... I know it'll run on Win7, but will it's performance/stability be effected as a result? In other words, why wouldn't I run it on Win7 64bit and keep the server OS license free for something else?
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

I would suspect if you offload your proxies elsewhere it will have no performance deterioration versus the 2003 license.
If the proxies (Brawn) are offloaded then the Veeam server is simply the SQL server (Brains).

If you were to run everything on one box I would still suspect that win7 64bit is probably better than 2003 R2, but you would need to run rests against your enviroment

Kev
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is less a question of the Veeam B&R server itself, than of the proxy server. I would say that generally any server OS is recommended. Also, it should be noted that Windows Vista and Windows 7 proxies put a limitation on VMware replication that could affect your choice in some cases.
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

Oh dear... To be fair, I assumed the whole thing would sit on the same box, ie I was never intending to split the proxy and the B&R server. I was only ever under the impression that it would sit on the same machine / same OS.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In the default setup, it does sit on the same machine. However, you can optionally use additional proxy servers to spread the backup load. I suggest reviewing the possible deployment scenarios given in the product user guide (p.16) for better understanding. Thanks.
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

There is no issue in doing that if the box is spec'd to meet your backup window, and to backup 13 VM's there should be no issue to be fair.
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

Thanks all! I'll see how I get on, with it all on the same Win7 box initially...
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

OK, Backing up our VM's now, at different schedules to avoid simultaneous backups, and as far as I can tell, Windows 7 is coping with it all just fine, no issues.
Cheers, Alan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks for keeping us updated about the results you get.

Should any additional help be needed, feel free to contact us.