Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dksTacet
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis

Cloning?

Post by dksTacet »

I am new to Hyper-V and Veeam. The first machine I made unfortunately I chose a dynamic disk the size of the available partition. I recently learned with high I/O demands a fixed disk is the way to go. I am in the process of creating new VHD, attaching and transferring everything needed except the OS. Then shrinking the OS partition down. The last step would be backing up the VM and restoring it. One method says to use Windows Backup to a shared dir, creating a new VM with a fixed disk, booting off the 2008 r2 disk and loading the backup from the network. Can i skip all of this and use Veeam some how to move the VM to one with a smaller OS partition or just clone it some how?

Thank You
-Dennis
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cloning?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dennis,

You can use Veeam replication jobs to replicate the VM and then perform necessary changes to its virtual disks.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Cloning?

Post by veremin »

Under certain circumstances (if you’re on a free product version, for instance, or don’t have an additional host) it might be worth utilizing VeeamZIP functionality, that’s a quite handy tool, especially, when you’re after “one time” backup or cloning.

More information regarding it can be found in the corresponding User Guide (p.47).

Thanks.