Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
defrogger
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Yesko

Can the Backup Proxy server be the same as the Backup Server

Post by defrogger »

hello, im new to Veeam, im setting up a client with version 6.5 for vmware. They have a very simple setup. One Esxi vmware 5 host which is licensed with Vmware essentials. Its only running 3 VM's and those will need to be backed up.

The instructions im reading says a Veeam backup Server and a Veeam Proxy server will be needed. I was wasnt planning on two servers being needed license wise.

Can I use the Veeam backup server as the porxy server, or do they have to be seperate? Otherwise i would have to buy another 2012 server license, I know I get 2 vm licenses per license but ive used them up.

If not, i see that the minumum requirements says you can use Windows 7 or XP as the proxy, I can always setup a spare pc as the Proxy but im wondering if it really should be setup as a server? Any thoughts

Thanks
Mike
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Can the Backup Proxy server be the same as the Backup Se

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Yes you can, in fact all the Veeam roles (server, proxy and repository) are installed by default on the same server. The scale-out design is something you add later, but I think in your environment a single server holding all the roles is enough for sure.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
defrogger
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Yesko

Post by defrogger »

Thanks, thats good news, Ill get it installed and try it out.

Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

defrogger wrote:If not, i see that the minumum requirements says you can use Windows 7 or XP as the proxy, I can always setup a spare pc as the Proxy but im wondering if it really should be setup as a server? Any thoughts
And the following post will address your second question, please review.