Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
avrham_g
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Avi

error in windows event viewer

Post by avrham_g »

Hi,
Ive windows 2012 and veeam B&R 6.5.
when i do a backup or replication i get this error in the windows event viewer Hyper-V-VMMS-admin "Requester reported unsuccessful backup for the virtual machine 'computer name'. (Virtual machine ID FDA4F400-8EE9-4953-BCF2-57E4905C60AF)"
veeam backup report that it backup or replication is successfully.
what does it mean and anyone else got this message as well?

THX
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: error in windows event viewer

Post by veremin »

Do you see the corresponding error message while backing up this specific VM or the problem persists regardless of what VM is being backed up?

Additionally, are you using application aware image processing and log truncation options? If so, what happens, if you disable it?

Moreover, do you experience any issue, if you try to restore given VM?

Thanks.
tcross
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Cross

Post by tcross »

Did you ever resolve this? we are seeing the same thing. Event Viewer is reporting that same Warning, and then it logs an error says Operation Failed, but Veeam backup jobs are running successfully, and we tested a restore and everything is alright.

The two eventIDs are
Warning: 10170
Error: 16010
They are always paired together, and as I said everything on Veeams end is reporting success and the backups seem to be fine.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned above, is it specific VM that is affected by such a behaviour or there are plenty of them, instead? Do you have Application Aware Image Processing enabled?

Did you have a chance to open a ticket with our support team? The OP has never come back to update the topic with the found resolution; neither has he provided his ticket number.

Thanks.
tcross
Novice

Post by tcross »

It is all of our VMs that we are backing up with Veeam that is being affected by this behavior currently. Yes we do have Application Aware Image Processing enabled currently for all of the jobs.

I have not had a chance to open up a ticket yet, I will look at doing so later today.

What happens is in our Event Log we get a Warning with event ID 10170 that says "Requester reported unsuccessful backup for the virtual machine 'VM01'. (Virtual machine ID 1B978816-2337-4D35-AF04-A303125015F6)"
and then right after we have another entry in the Event Log that is an error with an event ID of 16010 that simple says "The operation failed."
both of these events identify Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS as the source.

We have tested our backups and they restore fine, so it is a very strange message to be getting.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Do these errors leave away if you untick Application Aware Image Processing option?

Anyway, it’s the best strategy, indeed, to open a case with support team, letting them investigate it directly. Also, kindly provide us with the support ticket number, so that, we can follow your case and update the topic once the resolution is found.

Thanks.
tcross
Novice

Post by tcross »

Ok, just reran the job for one the of the VMs without Application Aware Processing turned on, and it ran without these events being logged. I just opened a case with case ID 00428375 about this issue.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, it seems that something might be wrong with VSS integration, so, let’s wait and see what support team says about it. Thanks.