zeki
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Veeam in Appliance Mode crashes

Post by zeki »

i have this configuration:

- new vm with win2008 sp2
- new installation of veeam backup 4
- created a job that backups the whole vcenter with exclution of one folder (in appliance mode)

scheduled the job to 0100 yesterday and this morning i see my veeam trying to boot from network.

the veeam lost his local C:\ (vmdk file) and cant boot.
after added the vmdk manualy to the veeam it boots and windows says it was crashed...normal after a "blue screen"
on the destination i see a file job.vbk with a size of 123GB (my veeams have need more space....) the job was not finished complety
12 of 20vms were backuped....

any other who have this issue?

thanks
zeki
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam in Appliance Mode crashes

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Zeki,

That's weird, I cannot recall to see this issue before, could you send us WMware logs, job log as well as the Event log from that server to support@veeam.com to investigate the issue.
zeki
Enthusiast

Post by zeki »

hello vsafarov
all the logs are mailed to support...

thanks
zeki
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello Zeki, I have not seen the logs, but since you are backing up the whole vCenter, you are likely backing up the actual Veeam Backup server too, which is not supported and may cause the VM crash. This is documented in the Known Issues section of the Release Notes document. What happens is during Veeam Backup's attempt to backup itself in the Virtual Appliance mode, it attaches its own disks to itself and the Windows OS cannot stand this (duplicate volumes). I think we should add a hard coded check in the code to skip Veeam Backup VM processing in all backup jobs. As discussed in the adjacent topic about Veeam Backup server DR, generally you cannot use Veeam Backup to backup itself in any mode.
zeki
Enthusiast

Post by zeki »

hi gostev
ah, maybe thats th reason ;)
i exclude it and report if it helps..

nice weekend
zek