Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Innuendo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Innuendo

Veeam temp snapshots not removed

Post by Innuendo »

Hi everyone,

after upgrading to latest version 7 my backup Jobs are finished successful, but all temporary snapshots are not removed.
When i do not remove all snapshots manually next day all VMs will have two snapshots named "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", on 3rd all VMS will have 3 snapshots and so on. I have checked the backup logs: Veeam logs "removing snapshot successful" for all VMs. But my vCenter shows snapshots for all virtual maschines.

Please help

Innu
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam temp snapshots not removed

Post by foggy »

Hello. Typically these temporary snapshots, if not removed at the end of the job, should be automatically removed during its next run, before backup. Though you can safely remove them manually via vSphere Client, probably it is worth contacting support so they could verify whether the issue is environment-specific or could show up more frequently. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Btw, do you probably have vCenter server added to Veeam B&R console both as a Windows server and as the vCenter using the same name? If that is the case, then support has the workaround for that.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, it might be worth deploying VeeamOne, since it provides you with up-to-date information regarding your Virtual, as well as, Backup Infrastructure. Among other predefined alarms there is one that lets you about obsolete snapshots present in your production environment. Thanks.
Innuendo
Novice

Post by Innuendo »

thanks for your reply
maybe i wasn't clear enough: snapshots are always not removed on all vms in all backup jobs.
running a job a second time ends up in a second snapshot for all virtuall machines. (3rd start of a Job in a 3rd snapshot - the snapshot tree seems to have no end)

regards
Innu
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Even the snapshots that have left since the previous run should be deleted during the next job run. What you’re experiencing here is definitely unexpected behavior, so, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly.

Also, the support team is already aware about issues with “orphaned” snapshots in environment where the vCenter is added Veeam B&R console both as a Windows server and as the vCenter and has a workaround for it.

Thanks.
Innuendo
Novice

Post by Innuendo »

yes, your are right.
i have found kb1810 "VMware Snapshots Not Being Removed After Upgrade to Version 7" and as described in kb article i have opened a support case for information about required additional database modifications.

regards
Innu
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It will be appreciated if you post here your support ticket number, so that we can follow the case. Thanks.
scheerer
Service Provider
Full Name: Mike Scheerer

Post by scheerer »

I am also having a problem with the failure to remove VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOTS with B&R Version 7 and I have determined that this was a problem with us having a Veeam Repository configured on our vCenter Server which was added to the Veeam Infrastructure as a Server.

I found this information in the following VEEAM Knowledge Base article:

http://www.veeam.com/kb1810

Is there any way that I can get the information regarding the database modifications or is this only available from Veeam Support?

Regards,

Mike Scheerer
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mike, yes, please contact technical support directly to get all the necessary instructions on how to work around this issue. Thanks.
mbiesheuvel
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michel Biesheuvel

Post by mbiesheuvel »

We also have this issue... Why not just tell us what to do instead of contacting support. It takes sooooo much time.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Since only support team after taking a look at required logs can surely understand whether or not you experience the similar issue. Additionally, since this problem is still under investigation, we do need to collect as much data as possible in order to determine what thing in particular might lead to the said behavior.

Thanks for understanding, Michel.
mbiesheuvel
Influencer

Post by mbiesheuvel »

OK thanks :). I have made a support ticket... Unfortunately still no response. 00440377 is my id ticket. I am at the customer now so any fast contact would be ok. Because weekend is coming and full backups are going to run and I want this issue solved before I leave at the end of the workday.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You should take into account the amount of workload that nowadays is put on support team shoulders. Though, they will do their best in order provide you with fast and efficient help. Thanks, Michel, again for you assistance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Also, I would like to note that support is provided according to our support policy, where response times are specified depending on your support level (Standard or Premium) and case severity. Thanks.
mbiesheuvel
Influencer

Post by mbiesheuvel »

OK.. I will just remove veeam completly of the system and reinstall it (inclusive the Database and VeeamVBR Catalog, which was 60GB!!!!).

This was original a veeam 4 which was upgraded to 5, 6, 6.5 and 7 in a few years time... Could be that something went wrong in the middle ;-).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Make sure you do not add your vCenter server to Veeam B&R console as a Windows server (in addition to vCenter itself), as this looks to be the primary reason of such issues in v7.
mbiesheuvel
Influencer

Post by mbiesheuvel »

I have never added a vCenter server as a windows server. This site also did not have the vCenter added as a windows server. So it seems its not always the case ;-).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I just had to warn you about that. ;)
mbiesheuvel
Influencer

Post by mbiesheuvel »

Ok i reinstalled everything as new and the problem is solved. It seems the DB of Veeam had lost his mind... Now he is fully aware again! Thx!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad you've nailed it. Should any additional questions arise, feel free to contact us.
Mac
Novice
Full Name: Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi, I'm also running into this issue with a customer, Veeam and the vCenter are installed on the same machine..am I right to assume that whenever this happens to be the case (Veeam + vCenter on the same machine) I will run into this issue, seen as the Veeam host is automatically added as "This Server" under the Windows Managed Servers?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is currently a known issue, see the previous page for support KB article. This will be addressed in the upcoming patch. Thanks!
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by trackstar »

I did a fresh (not upgrade) install on a new server and only see "This server" under Microsoft Windows. This doesn't apply to me? I ran a backup test and took a peek at the VCenter and saw the snapshot taken place and then removed.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If there's no vCenter added under Windows servers in Backup Infrastructure, this specific issue should not show up.
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by trackstar »

foggy wrote:If there's no vCenter added under Windows servers in Backup Infrastructure, this specific issue should not show up.
Again thanks foggy. For future references where I can view the logs on the veeam backup server to see if the snapshots have been removed, etc? My current method is to open up VMware (vSphere) and see it as it is happening.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Best way to monitor left-over snapshots is to install Veeam ONE (even Free Edition will alarm you about the issue). Logs are not a reliable source of monitoring snapshot removal issues, as too often vCenter API will return success when snapshot is not actually removed.

Veeam ONE is included in Veeam Backup Essentials and Veeam Backup Management Suite.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

trackstar wrote: Again thanks foggy. For future references where I can view the logs on the veeam backup server to see if the snapshots have been removed, etc? My current method is to open up VMware (vSphere) and see it as it is happening.
You can setup an Alarm in vCenter to alert you if there is a large snapshot. This is how I monitor to make sure nothing gets left behind. I set the warning to 1GB and the Critical to 2GB.
hansvh
Influencer
Full Name: Hans

Post by hansvh »

Same problem here, Veeam temporary snapshots keep on piling up after upgrade from 6.5 to 7. Will open a support case.....
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Hans. As stated above, most likely this issue is caused by having vCenter server added Veeam B&R console both as a Windows server and as the vCenter. The support team is aware about this and has already create a corresponding article; so, kindly, take a look. Thanks.