Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Stevester
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Handy

Cannot connect remote via Veeam Client

Post by Stevester »

Good Day Everyone,

I am using the free Veeam Monitor application with my ESX Server and I am having an issue. I have the Veeam Monitor Server/Client installed on a remote machine. The remote server already has a SQL Server 2005 database created, so the database is NOT a Veeam database. After installation, i can connect to the database, and the application works perfectly on the server. However, I have installed only the client on my machine. When I try to connect with just the client from my machine, i get a "cannot connect to the database error" This happens with both 4.01 and 4.5 verisons. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Stevester
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Cannot connect remote via Veeam Client

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steve, I would say either your SQL is not configured for remote access correctly, or something is preventing this remote access (firewalls).
Stevester
Novice

Post by Stevester »

Looking through the logs, it appears that there is a bug that is substituting the computer name instead of the username to the remote database. Even if one inputs a different CORP\username and password, the software nevertheless submits the computer name.

Here is a sample of the logs...my computername is shandyxp, however i am attempting to submit CORP\shandy for user

11/01/09 13:33:31 Inform 0x0250 scheduler "Connecting to DB VeeamMonitor at fcctserver. Local host is shandyxp."
11/01/09 13:33:31 Inform 0x0250 scheduler "A database error (code:0x80004005, Unspecified error ) has occured in context of Connecting to DB. Error information follows"
11/01/09 13:33:31 Inform 0x0250 scheduler "Error record 1 of 2: Login failed for user 'CORP\SHANDYXP$'."
11/01/09 13:33:31 Inform 0x0250 scheduler "Error record 2 of 2: Cannot open database "VeeamMonitor" requested by the login. The login failed."
11/01/09 13:33:31 Inform 0x0250 scheduler "Throwing exception."
11/01/09 13:33:31 Error 0x0250 scheduler "Failed to restore DB connection."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello, is CORP\SHANDYXP in Veeam Monitoring group on Veeam Monitor server?
jbodkin
Novice
Full Name: Jim Bodkin

Post by jbodkin »

I am having a similar issue. The monitor.gui.log is showing "UserIsAdmin=true; Username=NETSERVICES-45\JEBodkin" and I cannot connect to the database on the server. NETSERVICES-45 is my computer name and I cannot make NETSERVICES-45\JEBodkin a member of the Veeam Monitoring group since it is not a domain account.

I'm not sure why the computer name is being added as part of the Username.
Stevester
Novice

Post by Stevester »

CORP\SHANDYXP is on Veeam Monitor.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Jim, current version requires that all computers are part of domain.
jbodkin
Novice

Post by jbodkin »

Gostev, My PC is a domain member of the same domain as the Monitor server. It is the NETSERVICES-45 that is being appended to the user name that is the problem. JEBodkin is a domain member (domain admin) and NETSERVICES-45 is a domain computer but NETSERVICES-45\JEBodkin is not.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Steve, CORP\SHANDYXP$ means that Veeam Monitor service runs under Local System account, so this is normal to see in the log (this is not a bug).

Possible reasons for your issues are:
• Remote SQL not configured for remote connections
• CORP\SHANDY is not in Veeam Monitoring group (or you did not click Sync button in Veeam Monitor settings after adding it there)
• Firewalls

Also, please note that based on the above log snippet, you are looking at the service logs, but you need to be looking at Veeam Monitor client logs with this issue.

I would like to remind here just in case, that if any of you are using licensed Veeam Monitor version, please feel free to shoot an email and all logs to support@veeam.com, and we will be able to assist in troubleshooting (we can setup webex to look at your environment and issue in live, etc.) and make this work.
jbodkin
Novice

Post by jbodkin »

My problem ended up being caused by the NetWare client we are using. When I installed Monitor client on a system without the Novell client everything works fine. Unfortunately we require the Novell client on our PCs.
Stevester
Novice

Update - Cannot connect remote via Veeam Client

Post by Stevester »

Good Day Everyone,

As an update, the client still is not working. Trying to connect to a remote database yields a connection error. This is a nice product, but this one issue is kind of an eye sore.

Can someone assist?

Stevester
KonstantinLitov
Influencer

Post by KonstantinLitov »

We have recently updated our environment with firewalls, and i can no longer connect to the database on the server hosting Veeam Monitor. What are the default ports that I need to be able to communicate on for my local client to be able to connect to the server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Konstantin,

Please have a look at the attached picture that has all the ports shown:
monitor.jpg
monitor.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 9209 times
Thank you.
KonstantinLitov
Influencer

Post by KonstantinLitov »

Great, Thank You so much.
balaz@cdp.sk
Service Provider
Full Name: Ondrej Balaz

Post by balaz@cdp.sk »

I tried everything I found here at forum but I still get “Could not connect to database”. Both – server and client has Firewalls disabled.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ondrej, if you are using paid version, please feel free to contact our support and they will assist you to make this work in your environment. Thank you.
balaz@cdp.sk
Service Provider
Full Name: Ondrej Balaz

Post by balaz@cdp.sk »

Gostev wrote:Ondrej, if you are using paid version, please feel free to contact our support and they will assist you to make this work in your environment. Thank you.
I'm using free version :|
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ondrej,

Try connecting to the remore SQL server using SQL Management Studio from the machine where Veeam Monitor Client is installed. Also please review all the log files for additional information on the issue.

Thank you!
adamhay
Novice
Full Name: Adam Hay

Post by adamhay »

I'm having a similar issue using free version 4.5 from a 2003 R2 server w/ 4.5 client installed. My XP SP3 workstation is able to connect to same DB without issue.

Both user accounts and machine accounts are members of domain and the local Veeam Monitoring group on the Veeam Monitoring Server/DB machine (2003 R2 SP2 w/ SQL 9.0.3042).

I have tried a re-install of Veeam Client and an uninstall of Veeam client and all SQL client components then reinstall of SQL 2005 client components and Veeam Client 4.5 but the behavior remains the same.

I am able to connect to the SQL DB on the remote server via SQL Server Management Studio 2005 from the client machines without issue.

Haven't been able to peruse the client logs as I can't seem to find them.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be amiss? Can someone clue me to where I might find the client logs or the log file name?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Adam,

You may find all the logs if you navigate to Options -> Server Settings -> Logs and Help->About->View log. You need to be looking at Veeam Monitor client logs if you're having the same issue.

Also just to be sure that the connection works, can you please try installing Veeam Client locally on the Veeam Server VM, and confirm that it works.

Thank you!
adamhay
Novice

Post by adamhay »

Veeam Client 4.5 is able to connect without issue from both the Veeam Monitor/DB server and my workstation.

Looks like I have the following entries when I fire up the client in monitor.gui.log on the problematic terminal server:

5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Generic 0x09A8 main "----------------------------------- New session -----------------------------------"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Generic 0x09A8 main "Veeam Monitor for VMware version 4.5.0.189"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Generic 0x09A8 main "Running at fqdnofveeamclient"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Generic 0x09A8 main "Local time is UTC -5"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Generic 0x09A8 main "WinVer=Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition; Platfrom=32"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Generic 0x09A8 main "UserIsAdmin=true; Username=DomainName\myadminuseraccount"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Inform 0x09A8 main "Change the current directory C:\Program Files\Veeam\Veeam Monitor for VMware succeded.
"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Inform 0x0764 GUI "Find 2.5 client: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"
5/25/2010 3:30:56 PM Inform 0x0764 GUI "Find 4.0 client: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"
5/25/2010 3:30:57 PM Generic 0x0764 GUI "Monitor started on host hostnameofveeamclient"
5/25/2010 3:30:58 PM Warning 0x0764 GUI "Service connection failed Address = \\fqdnofveeamserver\pipe\VeeaMDCS Error = 0xe7"
5/25/2010 3:31:02 PM Error 0x0764 GUI "Database disconnected ()"

Have tried bouncing the Veeam Data Collection Service on the server as well, but no dice.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hm... so it seems like we've just nailed down the issue to the Terminal Server machine. Could you please check that you have synchronized time on both machines (Terminal Server and Veeam monitor server)?
adamhay
Novice

Post by adamhay »

Yup, looks to be keeping sync. This terminal server was working fine using version 4 client to connect to our version 4 DB/Server. Problem just started appearing after I upgraded to 4.5 due to an "Element could not be found" error I was encountering for all VC and ESXi objects in our 4.0 set up.

Looks to have fixed itself some how over night however.... Strange stuff...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Adam,

Glad that it is resolved now! It's not strange,it's like many problems, just sleep on it, and next day it will be gone :wink:
veera
Novice
Full Name: Veerasekar

Post by veera »

hello Gostev,

We also facing the same issue. We are currently using Veeam Monitor 5.0.0.261_upd.
We unable to define the client users in the server monitor Options->Server Settings->Security.
If we already set the client in the domain, possible to set the user. Can we possible to set the client user in the server monitor without the domain settings?

Thanks
Veera
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As far as I got it right, you're using Workgroups in your environment, right? If this is the case, you may want to try connecting with an account which should have the same name and the same password on both machines, Monitor Server and Monitor Client.