Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Migrate Enterprise Manager?

Post by jadams159 »

I have a Server 2008 R2 VM running Veeam 6.5 and it has Enterprise manager installed on it. It is the only Veeam server in my environment. I plan to build a new 2012 VM for Veeam 7 and want to remove my 2008R2 server once the backups retire.

How do I move Enterprise manager to the 2012 VM? Or do I need to move it at all and just do a clean install on the new VM?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Migrate Enterprise Manager?

Post by veremin »

Hi, Justin.From my perspective, instead of deploying new Virtual Machine, it might be better to perform in-place upgrade of existing VM to 2012 server. Though, prior to upgrading it, don’t forget to backup the whole VM or corresponding SQL database.

According to our users’ experience, in-place upgrade doesn’t cause any issues. Thanks.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

I can see how that might be easier however I have a different reason for wanting to start fresh. My current Veeam server uses internal vmdks for repositories. I just racked and stacked a Data Domain 2500 and want to do some testing/analysis and have my current backup jobs still run as normal. Once my testing is done and I believe I have all the right settings on all my jobs I want to just disable the old server and let the backups expire. I don't have enough backup window to perform all the testing on one box.

Is there a way to move EM, or will I just have to start over?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You just need to move the SQL database that contains all configuration data (there are a number of existing topics on how to do that for the backup server itself, the procedure is similar). Thanks.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Well, is there anything wrong with me starting over fresh with EM? Can they coexist for a few weeks?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, while Enterprise Manager v7 can collect data from Veeam B&R servers from earlier versions, adding the same backup server to two different Enterprise Manager instances is not supported.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

So if I just keep the 2012 and 2008R2 boxes from knowing about each other than I should be fine?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I just realized that you're considering using the new EM for the completely new Veeam B&R server. In this case there's definitely no reason to move the old database to the new VM, you can install EM from scratch. No issues coexisting with the currently deployed Veeam B&R + EM instances.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Awesome. Thanks guys.
nlaurino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nick Laurino

[MERGED] Enterprise Manager

Post by nlaurino »

The machine that is running our Enterprise Manager needs to be replaced and we need to move the Enterprise Manager to another computer.

Can this be done? If so how. It currently issues our licenses to all our VEEAM servers.

Thank you,

Nick
Nick Laurino
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Enterprise Manager

Post by edfops »

Not sure how much work this is for you, but I've stood up a second EM server and re-added all of my Veeam servers,settings and the license file without issue. Once the license file is pushed down EM going away will not have an effect.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

More recommended approach would be to move Enterprise Manager SQL database to the new server (or just re-attach the new EM instance, in case if remote SQL Server is used).
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] Migrate B&R and EM to a new server

Post by B.F. »

Howdy,

We are on v9.5 U2. When backing up the configuration via the configuration backup wizard, does it also backup the information for Enterprise Manager if it's on the same server? If not, what is the best method to migrate the EM piece along with the config backup for migration? Don't really care too much about EM historical data if it simplifies things.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

does it also backup the information for Enterprise Manager if it's on the same server?
No, it does not.
If not, what is the best method to migrate the EM piece along with the config backup for migration?
Migrate corresponding SQL db.
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Post by B.F. »

Thanks v.Eremin. I copied over the SQL db as suggested and it appears to mostly work. When I go into the configuration \ vCenter Servers, the Plug-in Status shows "Unknown" for our vCenter server. Clicking the "Check Version" button doesn't change the status either.

Please advise.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Probably further corrections need to be applied to make plugin work. Kindly, reach our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
Tech471
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hank Vare

[MERGED] Moving VBEM to a new Veeam backup server

Post by Tech471 »

Hello,

We have Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager installed on a old Veeam backup server (2012) which we are retiring. I'd like to uninstall VBEM and install it on our new Veeam backup server (2012 R2). In reading the kb article sent to me by support (Case # 03397760) I see this is a somewhat complex process. In our case I never actually got around to using VBEM much on the old server and simply want to blow it away completely and start fresh on the new server. On the old server, when navigating to Control Panel > Programs and Features I do not see VBEM listed.

What's the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Hank,

In the latest B&R versions most of the data is stored in the B&R DB, so you can go ahead, back up the B&R configuration, retire the old server, restore B&R configuration from the configuration backup, and install EM on top of the new B&R server. The historical data will be retrieved from the B&R database. It's recommended to restore B&R configuration first, then add the B&R server to EM. Please also make sure that the old EM is not collecting any data from the new B&R server (simply kill old EM). This approach is applicable to both single server and distributed installations.

P.S. I've merged your thread with an existing one covering the same topic.

Regards,
Fedor
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Hi Fedor,

what does "most data" mean? What is going to be missing?

Markus
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Markus,

Nothing, all the historical data will be retrieved from the B&R database that can be restored from the configuration backup.

Thanks