Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Robertf
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Foss

Cannot delete selected backup, because it is in use

Post by Robertf »

Hello,

I did a test restore from a tape backup in Veeam, and it went OK.

The problem I'm having, is that I'm not able to delete the Imported backup (tape restore). When I right-click the imported backup and Select Remove from disk or remove from backups, I get and error Message stating: Cannot delete selected backup, because it is in use. In the details, it lists the Job that I ran to get the data from tape to disk.

I have tried to restart the Veeam backup server, but still no Luck.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Cannot delete selected backup, because it is in use

Post by veremin »

Hi, Robert. I’m wondering to which location you restored a given backup file. To original repository? Also, have you tried to disable temporarily tape job and try to delete this file? Thanks.
Robertf
Novice

Post by Robertf »

The tape is restored to a folder on local disk (not the backup repository)
The tape job is not running at the moment (only runs once a month)

It seems Veeam is keeping certant VMs in the restore locked somehow.
Robertf
Novice

Post by Robertf »

When I try to remove spesific VMs from the imported backup, I am able to. But not all of them.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, it might be worth checking whether there are any restoration activities related to the said backup that are taking place in the moment. Anyway, the best way to solve any technical problem is to open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly.

Kindly, provide the case number, so that we can follow it, and update the topic once the resolution is found. Thanks.
ExpertTrigger
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by ExpertTrigger » 2 people like this post

I just wanted to post a possible reason for this error. I was getting the same error after raid card failure. (yeah)

The error was complaining that a single VM in the job was in use. After contacting support, we found out that my issue was that the VM was part of a SureBackup job. The SureBackup job was not running either. After deleting the SureBackup job, the error went away. I hope this helps someone else with the issue.
fels@hosysteme.de
Lurker
Full Name: Sebastian

Post by fels@hosysteme.de »

I had this error after an interrupted Recovery in Veeam 8.0.0.2021. I was not able to remove the backup and the rentention policy kept too many backups on the backup repository. After som research I found that the Task was still marked as active in the sql database.
I solved it with editing the sqldatabase with the SQL Management studio as described here: http://www.veeam.com/kb1487