Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
omorin
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: olivier morin

V7 Tape backup of files

Post by omorin »

Bonjour,

I try to use V7 to backup a NAS with an alive file system (i mean a file system used by users).

So while the begin of the tape backup job and its end, files can be modified or deleted.

When a file is deleted while the backup process, the job is marked as "Error" (in RED).

What about a simple "Warning"

For example, a ~lock file generated by LibreOffice make my job to be considered as bad...

Code: Select all

Task \\hdv-doc-d\informatique\Administration\Budget 2013\.~lock.BUDGET 2013 TABLEAU DE BORD.ods# failed: file not found--tr:Client unable to process [get_file] command. Source: [\\hdv-doc-d\informatique\Administration\Budget 2013\.~lock.BUDGET 2013 TABLEAU DE BORD.ods#]. Target: [TapeFs://\\.\Tape0|7409491|7168|.~lock.BUDGET 2013 TABLEAU DE BORD.ods#].
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: V7 Tape backup of files

Post by veremin »

The list of files to backup is constructed in the beginning of file to tape job. So, once job reaches a given file that has been already listed and can find it, the job produces corresponding error. Though, it doesn’t affect backup procedure of the other files. That being said, all other files will be copied to tape medias without any issues.

Thanks.
omorin
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: olivier morin

Post by omorin »

Bonjour,
v.Eremin wrote:Though, it doesn’t affect backup procedure of the other files. That being said, all other files will be copied to tape medias without any issues.
Yes, it's why i think a simple "Warning" should be better, i my opinion, than an "Error".
If i use everyday Veeam to backup an alive file system, i will have an "Error" every day, and when a "real" error arrive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The opinion towards this behavior might differ, depending solely on what is, actually, chosen as a source for a file to tape job.

In case of archiving to tape live production system, it would be more or less or ok that certain file has been deleted during the process and that you would be notified about it via “warning” message.

However, let’s imagine that it’s backup files that are being backed up to tape. In this case, the fact that backup file has been deleted during the process would mean that you don’t have reliable restore point on tape medias and you would like to be aware about this as soon as possible. So, “Error” message is more likely to draw your attention.

Anyway thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.

Thanks.