Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
chrismc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wyatt Prosser

Tape library drive showing as standalone

Post by chrismc »

I am having an issue on veeam 7 where the tape library is showing up, as well as the tapes but the drive is showing up as a standalone drive. Anybody seen this before or heard of a fix for this? I am iSCSI connected and the media changer and tape drive both show up in server 2008 device manager and the driver is not unknown. Thanks in advance!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Tape library drive showing as standalone

Post by Gostev »

Could be an issue with incorrect driver implementation by your tape vendor, please open a support case for the investigation.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Chris.

Assuming both devices (library, driver) are correctly shown in Device Manager, they also should be correctly reflected in the “Tape” node of backup infrastructure. That being said, the tape drive should be shown under corresponding library.

As mentioned above, if you’re seeing different behavior, kindly, open a ticket with our support and let them investigate it directly.

Just out of curiosity – may I ask you to post the screenshot of tape node of device manager, as well as, the one of backup server (backup infrastructure -> tape -> library –> drives).

Thanks.
chrismc
Novice

Post by chrismc »

I don't have image posting ability at my workstation. I do have a question though, could SCSI id's have anything to do with this issue?
chrismc
Novice

Post by chrismc »

I do have a support case and uploaded tape test results and a screenshot. case #00450492

Thanks
chrismc
Novice

Post by chrismc »

FYI I applied new patch that was supposed to fix this issue as stated by tech support but to no avail, support ticket escalated to level 3. Anybody else having this issue? Any ideas that may be a workaround?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As far as I’m concerned, the issue with tape library and drives shown as separate devices is still under investigation, and wasn’t supposed to be fixed in the patch#1.

However, I believe, tier 3 team should be aware about workaround that includes manually mapping drive(s) to tape library via the registry. So, let’s wait and see whether they find your issue to be the known one and propose the workaround in accordance.

Thanks.
chrismc
Novice

Post by chrismc »

Thanks for the info.
chrismc
Novice

Post by chrismc »

Ended up using a BDT media changer and IBM Ultrium-TD1 and that combo ended up working. Not sure why the ADIC scaler 100 wasn't but thats okay because this works! Thanks for the help and advice.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Chris,

Thank you for the update! I will pass this update to the QC.