Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bschmidt25
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bryan Schmidt

Missing Tape Drive - HP MSL 2024 LTO4 SCSI

Post by bschmidt25 »

I recently connected up a tape library to our Veeam 7 server. The library is identified in Veeam. I can see the slots and media fine, but the tape drive is not showing up under drives. I don't have any other backup software installed on this system (ie: Backup Exec). Server OS is 2012. In device manager, the changer is listed as Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) and the tape drive is listed as Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-4 drive. I have installed the latest drivers from HP. Driver version for the drive is 1.0.7.1.

This is a pretty common library, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't supported. Any help or info is appreciated!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Missing Tape Drive - HP MSL 2024 LTO4 SCSI

Post by veremin »

Hi, Bryan, we haven’t seen similar issues so far. So, kindly, open a ticket with support team and provide them with required logs. Also, it will be appreciated, if you update the topic with the ticket number, so that we can follow the case.

Thanks.
GWAPO
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Dimaano

Post by GWAPO »

Hi there!

I'm just following up if there's any resolution for this issue? I have almost the same problem. It's just that I am using MSL2024 LTO6 SAS. I have a VMware VM Windows 2012 Server, and in its Device Manager only the LTO 6 drive is being detected. I can't seem to have windows detect the MSL2024. I was wondering how were you able to have Windows detect the tape library as MSL G3 Series Library?

I have installed the latest firmware from HP to the Windows Server using HP LT&T.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Thank you very much!!!
bschmidt25
Influencer

Post by bschmidt25 »

Thank you Vladimir. Opening a case and will update accordingly.
bschmidt25
Influencer

Missing Tape Drive - HP MSL 2024 LTO4 SCSI - Case # 00462973

Post by bschmidt25 »

Unable to edit topic. Case # is 00462973
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thank you for posting the support ticket number. Let’s wait and see what support team says after log investigation and WebEX session (if any is needed).
bschmidt25
Influencer

Post by bschmidt25 »

Hi guys, I have a WebEx scheduled for later today. I'll post an update afterwards.
bschmidt25
Influencer

Post by bschmidt25 » 2 people like this post

The issue is resolved. During troubleshooting, when trying to scan for hardware changes in device manager, the system blue screened. The error given was DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I found this KB article from Microsoft... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789962 . I applied the hotfix and am now able to see the drive and use it. Funny thing is, I don't have a lot of third party drivers on the system as the KB article states. The only third party drivers installed are for the HP library and drive and the SCSI controller. Nonetheless, this resolved my issue. Hope this helps others. Thanks again for everyone's help!
wanderer
Novice

[MERGED]: HP MSL 2024 Library - Only 1 of 2 Tape Drives Dete

Post by wanderer »

Case # 01800612

Hi there,

As described in title, we would like to use two tape drives but under Veeam Tape Infrastructure, only one is detected, whereas in Windows Device Manager, both drives are shown. We already have the latest tape library driver installed from HP.

FYI, we have Veeam 9 with Update 1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 (physical backup server). Our tape library is HPE MSL 2024 with two tape drives.

Our SAN switch zoning settings is as follows:

Four zones, having multiple paths to the tape drives
- zone1 : SAN_C0_P1; BACKUP_SERVER_P1; Tape_Drive_1; Tape_Drive_2
- zone2 : SAN_C1_P1; BACKUP_SERVER_P1; Tape_Drive_1; Tape_Drive_2
- zone3 : SAN_C0_P2; BACKUP_SERVER_P2; Tape_Drive_1; Tape_Drive_2
- zone4 : SAN_C1_P2; BACKUP_SERVER_P2; Tape_Drive_1; Tape_Drive_2

Please let us know how Veeam can see the second tape drive under Tape Infrastructure. Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!

While waiting for support's response please check the solution that has been suggested in this thread.

Thanks!
wanderer
Novice

Post by wanderer » 2 people like this post

It is my pleasure to inform you that your support person Jia effectively helped us solve the problem for our client.

He guided us to troubleshoot by trying the HP Library and Tape Tools. In the software, only one drive was shown (unlike Device Manager where 2 drives were shown). Therefore, we knew it wasn't Veeam's fault.

It was found that on our SAN switch, one of the two aliases of the tape drives had an invalid value (member) -- it was changed to an unknown value for an unknown reason, while the other alias was OK; therefore, only one drive was detected. After correcting the bad alias member (and removing the offline libraries, media pools from Veeam, restarting all Veeam services) and the two drives appeared.

Had the case not been on hold by our client, we would have solved it sooner.

Thanks a lot.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

wanderer,

Thanks a lot for getting back to us with such good news. I’ll gladly share your feedback with support team.