Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
natrimac
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Will Pulsifer

Re IP Whats the point

Post by natrimac »

So I understand the intent of re ip, but what's the point of it if it relies on your production Veeam server to be "alive" to make it work. Is it not the point that you are in a DR\BC mode and the production side is down hence bringing up the replicas?

Is there a way to take the Veeam server wit the DB out of the mix entirely without having to manually re ip everything? Any ideas around how to accomplish this would be great.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Re IP Whats the point

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Will, this is exactly why we recommend placing Veeam backup server on the DR site to make all the work when your main site goes down.
natrimac
Influencer

Post by natrimac »

I have a server in both my prod site and DR, but my replications push to DR rather than pull. Are you saying that they should pull? if so is there a way to change the job without having to di a full replication pass?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

There is no push or pull. Replication traffic goes direct from source site proxy to target site proxy. Backup server is not involved in data transfer, it only initializes and controls the job execution.
natrimac
Influencer

Post by natrimac »

right, I guess what I meant was I have the job running from the veeam server in the primary site and "pushing" the data to the DR site. I have rebuilt to jobs at the DR site to run from there and set the seeding to point to the existing replicas. Ill update once they finish and I test.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Even with replication jobs rebuilt you do not need to run a full pass, just use VM mapping functionality on the second backup server to start transferring changes only.
natrimac
Influencer

Post by natrimac »

So once the job is done and the re ip is working, will veeam take care of all the DNS changes that AD will need done when the ip of the DC changes. Will it run things like dcdiag /fixall fir di I still need to do that by hand?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

All DNS record changes on the DC should be done manually. Thanks!