Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

3PAR VMFS LUN Presentation to Physical Proxy

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me? We want to use 3PAR snapshot integration. How should the VMFS LUN presentation be configured:

1. Export all VMFS LUNs to the Physical Veeam Proxy Server. Snapshots are then able to be automatically presented to the Physical Veeam Proxy Server as each backup job requires.
OR
2. Do not export any VMFS LUNs to the Physical Veeam Proxy Server. Snapshots are automatically presented to the Physical Veeam Proxy Server as each backup job requires.

I'm anxious not to export the live VMFS volumes in a writeable state to the Proxy server to get this integration feature to work if I can avoid it!

Thanks
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: 3PAR VMFS LUN Presentation to Physical Proxy

Post by Gostev »

Hello Mike, snapshots are automatically presented to the proxy server, it just needs to be connected into the SAN fabric. Thanks!
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by regnak2012 »

Thanks Gostev!

I zone in the Proxy Server and I'm all good to go so! That's a relief!

Cheers,
Mike
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

In addition to above, please note that if you plan to use the good old SAN MODE option (without the new storage snapshots integration), then you will need to present the live VMFS volumes to backup server.

I am currently using Veeam 6.5 in SAN mode against 3PAR 7200, and I have exported (presented) all VMFS volumes to the backup server.
This works fine and I haven't had any problem with it.

Of course if you can avoid exporting the live volume is safer, I just wanted to add my notes.

Yizhar