Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
raycarterin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: raycarterrapid

Replication from one to another host

Post by raycarterin »

My both host are stand alone both have 1 VM running. Now i am testing with Replication if i start Replication then my VM will keep running on source or it will saved???. i am new to veeam Replication.

veeam backup works awesome. bit its time to work with Replication
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication from one to another host

Post by foggy »

Replication is the process of copying a VM from its primary location (source host) to a destination location (redundant target host). Veeam Backup & Replication creates an exact copy of the VM (replica), registers it on the target host and maintains it in sync with the original VM.
raycarterin
Influencer

Post by raycarterin »

is this function allowed in trial mode. if i just want to move running vm to another host without downtime. then Replication will work for migration.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, trial mode does not have any limitations regarding functionality. And yes, you can use replication to migrate VM between hosts.
raycarterin
Influencer

Post by raycarterin »

but how i can migrate there is no option for migrate and i don't have any cluster only 2 stand alone host (Hyper-V). what can i do if i want to migrate running virtual machine to another host. and if i migrate in between virtual machine get offline or remain online for users. i have hyper-v host. i have read in build help and there is noting about hyper-v migration.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you're talking about migration with no downtime (live migration), then there's no such functionality for Hyper-V environments available in Veeam B&R currently. However, what I was talking about is using replication to migrate VM between hosts (this, however, means some VM downtime in case you do not want to lose changes occurred between VM snapshot and failover).
raycarterin
Influencer

Post by raycarterin »

ok. thanks for help. last one. if i have replicate my vm let's say my sql server from hostA to hostB and not i want to keep my sql server on host2 only then what can do i just have to stop replication or i have to do anything else.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can perform permanent failover, leaving the workload on the target host and letting the replica VM act as the original VM.
Thanks.
raycarterin
Influencer

Post by raycarterin »

That mean if i start replica then entire traffic redirect to new host where my vm is replicating ???. and what if i want to keep my replicated machine on targeted host only and remove from source. what should i do.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

raycarterin wrote:and what if i want to keep my replicated machine on targeted host only and remove from source. what should i do.
Remove the original VM.
raycarterin
Influencer

Post by raycarterin »

ok. if i stop replication job to remove source machine then entire users are connected to replicated machine or they are redirected to source machine???
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You should ensure that users are routed to the new VM manually. Also, on permanent failover, Veeam B&R automatically reconfigures replication job adding the original VM to exclusions.
ramscards05
Lurker

Post by ramscards05 »

Foggy,
Windows Server 2012 has replication built into the operating system.
Do you feel that B&R replication would perform better and that is the route I should go?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Each approach has its pros and cons. You can review this topic for detailed list of differences between them and decide what you like better.
Blade1
Lurker
Full Name: Gurdip Sira

[MERGED] : Live migration with Hyper-V options

Post by Blade1 »

Hi,

I have a trial of Veeam B & R v8 running on a VM of a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server (the free version). What I'd like to do is a live migration of all VMs (although in a certain order!) of my VMs to a new Hyper-V 2012 R2 host, in another datacenter. Both hosts are standalone (i.e. not clustered). The target host will be a member of the same domain when the domain controllers are migrated.

What I'd like to know is how to do this. I've found this link - http://hyperv.veeam.com/how-perform-liv ... l-machine/ - is this what I need? Also, the link to automating this is broken.

Also, is there a process to do the last bit (Permanent Failover)?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,

There are two main options of making live VMs migration for you:
1. Replication job + permanent failover. Some possible questions are answered in the topic. Please review.
2. Making a cluster from 2 standalone hosts (you can split them back once the migration is done).

Permanent Failover process is described here.
Thanks.