Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wwickline
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Warren Wickline

Secondary Destination Job Question

Post by wwickline »

I have a question about setting up a secondary destination for a new backup job. When I go to make a "New Backup to Tape Job", and add a backup job, the job needs to exist first. When I go to make a "New Backup Job" and choose to a Configure secondary destination, the Backup to Tape job must exist first.

Am I just missing something concept wise? I looked through the manual and I don't see a clear common practice. What is the best situation? Define the job with no secondary, then define the tape job, then go back and edit the job and add the secondary? Or define a job, then define a tape, then define a third job?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Secondary Destination Job Question

Post by veremin »

What is the best situation?
In fact, it’s completely up to you what approach to choose here. Though, I'd say that in overwhelming majority of environments backup jobs either are created first or have been already created with previous product versions, so, the only thing you have to do in this case is to add corresponding "backup to tape" jobs in accordance with your needs and desires.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Secondary Destination in primary backup jobs is designed for quick adding newly created primary backup jobs to existing Backup Copy or Backup to Tape job. This functionality is not for initial setup, but to make life easier in future. Just ignore this step when setting up your first primary backup job. Thanks!
wwickline
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Warren Wickline

Post by wwickline »

That explains it.

Thanks!
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

[MERGED] Quick Question about Backup Copy

Post by tom11011 »

Hi Group,

Running Veeam 7.0 patch 2 Enterprise Plus Edition.

I am creating a backup job and selecting the option to "Configure secondary destinations for this job". As soon as I click the box, a message box pops up and says "Create at least one backup copy or backup to tape job first".

I'm confused by this. If I create a separate backup copy job, why would I need to check this box in this job?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Tom, please see Anton's explanation above. Hope this answers your question. Thanks.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

Ok, I still don't understand though :|
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Simply put, you need at least one backup copy or backup to tape job to be already created to be able to use this option. You cannot specify secondary destination for backups when there's no job that will perform the corresponding activity (copying backups to a secondary location).
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

ok, I see what you are saying. Basically, if I only want this to run once per day, there is no point in including it in the original job since the job already needs to exist.

Also, will copy backups work if my backup job that it will be copying is reverse incremental?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, for backup copy job, it doesn't matter what source backup jobs are set to: forward or reversed incremental mode.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

Thank you.