Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
danatk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Failing Tape Jobs - 'The System cannot find the file...'

Post by danatk »

Hi Guys - We are getting regular failures of tape jobs with the following error:

WinApi function 'CreateFile' failed, code '2', message 'The system cannot find the file specified'

All our tape jobs are set to run continuously and back up when new files appear. This seems to work great most of the time, but during busy periods (e.g. weekend full backup window) we get several failed jobs with this error. The backup then re-runs, presumably because it is continuous and still has files it needs to back up after the failure. Eventually all the jobs complete OK.

Any ideas? I will raise a support call, but thought I'd check on the forums first...

thanks,
dan.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Failing Tape Jobs - 'The System cannot find the file...'

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dan,

For me it looks like the system glitch - so it definitely should be investigated by support team. Please update this thread with the support case, once you have it. Thank you.
danatk
Influencer

Post by danatk »

OK thanks - we just updated to Patch 2 since the weekend and rebooted the whole environment. I will wait a few days to see how it works out and then will raise a support call if we still see the problem.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Great, please keep us posted!
f.dapra@ifinet.it
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fabrizio Da Pra

Post by f.dapra@ifinet.it »

I had the same problem and discovered it was another service on the veeam service that was trying to use the tape drive. (old Backup Exec that was reactivated for a restore operation)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, Fabrizio is right here. Usage of vendor-provided Windows drivers and absence of other tape backup software running simultaneously have been the requirement for some time.

So, whenever you face issues with VB&R tape functionality checking the above mentioned things should be the first investigation step you conduct.

Thanks.
danatk
Influencer

Post by danatk »

thanks....we don't share the library with any other backup software, so that's not the issue.

the good news is that we haven't seen the problem so far this weekend - the backups are running OK.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If the issue shows up again, don't hesitate to open a ticket with our support team. Thanks.
danatk
Influencer

Post by danatk »

thanks vladimir - all our backups ran without errors over the weekend so I think the problem is solved.

it's really nice to come in on Monday morning and only see the green 'success' node in the 'last 24' hours view :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you've nailed it down. Hopefully, starting form this moment, you will get only green ticks in "Last 24 hours" view. :)

Thanks.