Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Question In Regards to Repository Features

Post by HJAdams123 »

Hello and Good Day Veeam Community...

A simple question. I am looking into transitioning from Windows 2008 R2 based repositories to just regular CIFS based repositories. Question is, the ability for a backup job to create synthetic fulls, and the ability to covert previous incremental backup chains into reverse incremental backup chains, can I still do those two things using a CIFS based repository? There is nothing about the Veeam agent on a Windows 2008 R2 based repository that makes those things possible correct? I just want to make sure I can continue to use those features when I move my backup to a network CIFS share....

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Harold
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question In Regards to Repository Features

Post by foggy »

Harold, please look at this post, should answer your questions in detail. You will be able to use those features with a CIFS repo, however most likely will significantly lack performance.

What is the reason for such transition? New storage device?
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 »

Yes, new storage device. Looking at utilizing Coraid as a remote backup target for Veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a small tip - when you using WAN connection and CIFS based repositories you can install a proxy server that will host Veeam processes responsible for transform operations. This proxy should be deployed on the same site with your CIFS repository.
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 »

yeah, the Coraid appliance in located in the same site as the backup proxies and virtual machines getting backed up. So, this proxy agent, is this something that is specified in the wizard when adding a CIFS target as a repository? (just asking because we have never done CIFS repositories, up to this point our repositories are virtual Windows 2008 R2 servers with the backup storage direct attached. (RDM)
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 » 1 person likes this post

Never mind, I stopped being lazy and just went through the wizard. I see where you specify a "agent" for the CIFS target. I imagine this is still not as good as having the agent on the same server as your storage, but hopefully it closes the gap in not having that agent at all. Thanks guys!!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you're right. Having agent on the same site is much better then not having it at all ;) The transform traffic will go from the specified proxy to the repository within the site over the network with this kind of setup.