renebos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rene Bos

veeam won't start, service not running

Post by renebos »

[ID#5190357]

Hi everyone.

After having the server running for some time sucessfully, after a restart the veeamconsole won't start , with message service is not running eventhough it does run.

Restarting services does not help.

I've reinstalled veeam, with previous uninstalled sql and veeam.

Still same error.

I am out of options.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: veeam won't start, service not running

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Rene,

What does our support engineer say about your issue after reviewing the log files? Btw, have you checked the Windows Event log for more info?

Thanks!
renebos
Influencer

Post by renebos »

can 't find any usefull info in the eventviewerlogs, engineer told me to restart service and check again. Waiting for new response from engineer.
renebos
Influencer

Post by renebos »

fixed by 2nd level engineer.

somehow the veeamservice was looking for the sqlserver remotely while the local servername was in the registry.

changed to (local) rebooted server, then changed back to servername.

rebooted server.

veeam is working again.

Thanks Support :)
leonjehae
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Leon Jehae

Post by leonjehae »

And HOW did you changed that?
Best regards,
Léon
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Leon, please contact technical support for directions.
RS-JH
Service Provider
Full Name: Josh Hornung

Post by RS-JH »

I realize that this is an older post, but I believe that I need a similar solution to resolve my problem. Unfortunately I'll never know since a detailed resolution was never posted.

What exactly is the purpose of a support forum if someone gets the answer, then someone requests that answer, and it told to "call support"?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

RS-JH wrote:What exactly is the purpose of a support forum if someone gets the answer, then someone requests that answer, and it told to "call support"?
Josh, the thing is that this is not a support forum at all.

I've checked the provided case notes and was not able to get any resolution from them, so it's definitely worth contacting support directly to get it.
Tommy Dasoo
Lurker
Liked: 3 times

Post by Tommy Dasoo » 3 people like this post

It is very likely to caused by the changing of the host name, do refer to the following link, i managed to my Veeam service started again.

http://www.hamerconsultants.com.au/veea ... t-running/
spacecrab
Lurker
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Nick

Post by spacecrab » 4 people like this post

I know this is an old post, but thank you for replying with this information. I installed Veeam Backup and Replication before changing the default generated hostname, and it was really throwing me through a loop. The fix noted at that url worked perfectly after I rebooted to reset the services. I'll relay the content here in case that sources goes away.

In my case I had renamed the computer from a default WIN234dfasd type name to a ‘much’ better alternative. Veeam refers to the local computer name in a couple of registry entries and promptly stopped working – which we didn’t notice until later.

The keys are:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlServerName
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup Catalog\CatalogSharedFolderPath
Backup of the site’s Virtual Machines is now running again.
ivanivanov
Lurker
Full Name: Ivan Ivanov

Post by ivanivanov »

I'm very disappointing from VEEAM products. Today I decided to try Veeam Backup. The installation completed with error that Veeam Backup Service can not be started.

Once I try to start the services manually I receive error into Windows Event Viewer:
Service cannot be started. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start(Int32 backlog)
at Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CLinuxBackupServer.StartListener(TcpListener& listiner, IPEndPoint endPoint)
at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVbServiceImpl..ctor(CVbEnvironment env, CTerminationMediator terminator)
at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVeeamBackupSvc.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
How to start this stupid service?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

If the product was installed without any issues please try to reboot the server. If the issue persists, please share the error with our support. Thanks!
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Post by powersjo » 1 person likes this post

spacecrab wrote: Oct 26, 2016 4:06 pm I know this is an old post, but thank you for replying with this information. I installed Veeam Backup and Replication before changing the default generated hostname, and it was really throwing me through a loop. The fix noted at that url worked perfectly after I rebooted to reset the services. I'll relay the content here in case that sources goes away.

In my case I had renamed the computer from a default WIN234dfasd type name to a ‘much’ better alternative. Veeam refers to the local computer name in a couple of registry entries and promptly stopped working – which we didn’t notice until later.

The keys are:

this helped me thanks!
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
jberanek
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Beranek

Post by jberanek » 1 person likes this post

spacecrab wrote: Oct 26, 2016 4:06 pm I know this is an old post, but thank you for replying with this information. I installed Veeam Backup and Replication before changing the default generated hostname, and it was really throwing me through a loop. The fix noted at that url worked perfectly after I rebooted to reset the services. I'll relay the content here in case that sources goes away.

The keys are:

Solved for another person another year down the line, thanks! :D
KhyDrake
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Khyler Weaver

Post by KhyDrake » 1 person likes this post

spacecrab wrote: Oct 26, 2016 4:06 pm In my case I had renamed the computer from a default WIN234dfasd type name to a ‘much’ better alternative. Veeam refers to the local computer name in a couple of registry entries and promptly stopped working – which we didn’t notice until later.

The keys are:

This solved my issue, thank you! 5 years later and this reply is still relevant!

Absolutely invaluable to save someone a lot of trouble if this happens to be one of the first posts they find, and a huge relief for those of us who may have spent hours trying to find this very solution.

Thank you for relaying the information, brilliant prediction on that source not lasting for those of us still having this issue years later.
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by davidkillingsworth » 1 person likes this post

The keys are:

Thanks for this. Solved a problem for us. We setup a new Veeam server and then changed it's hostname from the default Windows one to what it will be in our environment.
sakh20
Lurker
Full Name: saif khan

Post by sakh20 »

Hi,

make sure you start veema sql services 1st than, you can try starting veeam backup services. hope it will resolve your issue.

just go step by step 1st start veeam sql services than try to start veeam backup services.