Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mbrinkho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: M Brinks

Rename Hosts

Post by mbrinkho »

I was wondering if it is possible to rename the individual hosts under Virtual Infrastructure. Initially I added them in with just the host name but now I'd like to have them show their fully qualified name. (They can be used interchangeably on our network for connectivity.) There doesn't seem to be a way to rename them from the UI but I see in the monitor.Entity table that the moref_value and name columns seem to contain the info I would like to change. Is it safe to go ahead and change them in the database? I realize it's likely not supported and I could remove the hosts and re-add them in but I don't want to lose the historical data if I don't have to.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Rename Hosts

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, this tweak is not supported, as I'm not sure this is the only table that contains these names. What names do these hosts have if you connect via vSphere Client? Do you have a vCenter Server?

Thank you!
mbrinkho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: M Brinks

Post by mbrinkho »

We are running Hyper-V. It's really more cosmetic than anything, I could just delete them and re-add them too.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you were running vCenter Server (VMware vSphere), then you wouldn't have to bother about past performance data while removing hosts from Veeam ONE console. Historical information is automatically retrieved from vCenter Server when you add new hosts. Unfortunately, this doesn't work this way with Hyper-V.
CiaranC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ciaran C

Post by CiaranC »

You sure this is the case? I just removed and re-added an vCenter, no historical data is available, nor does it appear in the capacity planning report.

Any plans to add a simple 'rename' function for hosts within virtual infrastructure? Ive inherited a system with all the vCenters added by IP address making it very difficult to use.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

The behavior has changed from version to version. The topic`s posts are 2.5 years old.
Now historical information interval depends on the deployment mode (typical vs. advanced).

There is no option to change host`s name in UI because the last request we got was more than 2 years ago. However we will take your request into consideration.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, the behavior has changed due to this issue with VMware API call > Veeam One v9 does't collect historical data from vcenter