Backup / Tape setup??

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Backup / Tape setup??

Veeam Logoby czinck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Can you post the solution when you know? I'm having the same problem after installing Patch 3

Tks,
Chris Zinck
czinck
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Zinck

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am

Hi, Chris,

I strongly encourage you to open your own ticket. Not will it help us to understand the root cause of this behavior better, but also it will allow you to solve your issue faster.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Tobias_Elfstrom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

czinck wrote:Can you post the solution when you know? I'm having the same problem after installing Patch 3

Tks,
Chris Zinck

Sure, no response yet other than request for more logs but as I said, for me it helped to change media pool for the jobs that fails. Not really tape efficient but still a workaround.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Veeam Logoby Tobias_Elfstrom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 pm 1 person likes this post

Got a more meaningful response today from "the developers" via support.

After the investigation of the log files and the database dumps, they have confirmed that the issue comes from earlier versions which had a bug that could lead to an incorrect marking of tape header data. They have also confirmed that it is not safe to try to change the sequence number in the database and in the tape headers, and the recommended way of fixing this is recreating media pools affected. This bug is fixed in the version you are currently running (the problematic tapes we have reviewed were incorrectly marked back in 2013).

So basically, in my case, the bug in earlier version screwed up the tape headers and the only safe way around this is to start using a new mediapool/mediaset. (And since that was my workaround already I will not dig into this any deeper.)

Br Tobias.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Tobias,
Thank you for posting heads up and a workaround to this thread - highly appreciated!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Previous

Return to Tape