Drive Cleaning?

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Drive Cleaning?

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Nope – while writing tape media drive and media pool are locked.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED] VBR 9 Cleaning tape support

Veeam Logoby backup.master » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I know that VBR 8 does not support cleaning tapes.
Do you know if this feature will be implemented in VBR 9 or future versions?

Thanks in advance,
Ron.
backup.master
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: never
Full Name: Ronen Gottlieb

Re: VBR 9 Cleaning tape support

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi Ron,
Thanks for your feedback, but that is not among new tape features in v9. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby mike.r » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:41 am

I still remember this answer dated Jun 2015:

Dima P. wrote:No available R&D resources for this version. Though, request remains valid for the next major version.

"Next major version" is 9.0 right ?
The feature is not implemented in 9.0 right ?
But the request remains valid for the next, next major release ?

We can continue this post forever, but is it realy helpfull ?
mike.r
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 pm

mike.r,
The feature is not implemented in 9.0 right ?

It’s not going to be implemented in v9
But the request remains valid for the next, next major release ?

Yes. I am sorry if my previous response caused any confusion. We are going to look into the requested functionality as soon as we release the upcoming v9 of the VBR. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby monstermania » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 am

mike.r wrote:Good idea, but it is a little bit more complex than that.
For example:
- start a backup to tape job
- backup starts with tape no. 1
- during the backup job the changer sets the flag "cleaning required"
- backup job with tape1 will continue
- but!!! the backup job will not enter tape2 before the cleaning is done
- only chance to get out of the job is to cancel it manually
This is a situation I can not handle with the "before or after Tape job starts" function.

Same thing here.
When will this problem fixed by veeam!?

best regards
Dirk
monstermania
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello Dirk,

This feature might be implemented only after the next major release. Meanwhile, please try to work around this requirement by utilizing the built in cleaning logic of the native libraries’ software. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby monstermania » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:40 am

Dima P. wrote:Hello Dirk,

This feature might be implemented only after the next major release. Meanwhile, please try to work around this requirement by utilizing the built in cleaning logic of the native libraries’ software. Thanks.

Hi,
we don't need an cleaning option into veeam! We use the build in cleaning option of the tape library!
Our problem is that veeam tape job don't realize that the tape drive request and run a cleaning job during the running veeam tape job! If the tape job need more than 1 tape, everytime the veem tape job fails if the drive requests an drive cleaning!
We have this error every 100 hours of working time of the tape drive!

Failed to Get media info Das Gerät ist nicht bereit. Error code: 21 Can not get tape media information with status '21' in changer '\\.\Tape0' --tr:Timed out waiting for device ready status on FindMediaInfo operation, symLink = \\.\Tape0' Das Gerät ist nicht bereit. Error code: 21 Can not get tape media information with status '21' in changer '\\.\Tape0' Das Gerät ist nicht bereit. Error code: 21 Can not get tape media information with status '21' in changer '\\.\Tape0' --t

This is nuts!
monstermania
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for clarification. Any chance you've opened a support case?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby infos3c » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:47 pm

This is getting ridiculous! Veeam's "Ditch your BACKUP and Upgrade to AVAILABILITY... for the the Always-On Enterprise" taglines are really false advertising. Please stop using them until your product is really enterprise ready.

Tape maintenance (including cleaning) has been a standard feature of every basic and enterprise backup solution for decades - yes, decades!
The software must (at minimum) be able to schedule tape cleaning. The fact that Veeam can recognize that the drive needs to be cleaned, but can't wait 10 minutes so that the library can perform a cleaning between tapes during a job is pure stupidity. The fact that this has not been fixed in more than 3 years is insane.
infos3c
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Thompson

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 pm 3 people like this post

I would point out that in no way do tapes advance an "always-on" enterprise functionality, so it does not impact their advertising. Where their backup to disk and replication offerings are second to absolutely none, and provide exactly that. Tapes are and always will be for long term archiving. They extend the functionality of the Veeam offering, which is to take your virtual environment and make it rock solid.

Edit:
Yes, I'm a fanboi. Veeam makes me look like a wizard to our management, and all I have to do is click next a few times.
ekisner
Expert

Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Veeam Logoby monstermania » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 am

I agree 100% with infos3c!
We've changed 2014 from BackupExec to Veeam because we move our physical infrastructure to virtual. It is an absolute no go, that veeam offers "an Enterprise solution" with such a bad tape support! And the Problems are known about 3 years!
monstermania
Influencer

Veeam Logoby nullifi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm 1 person likes this post

It's certainly getting better. I adopted Veeam at Version 8, and was so dissapointed when I realized that to maintain a GFS rotation and to use two tape drives I had to have a total of 6 tape jobs to my two backup jobs. Getting it all figured out was a nightmare, but once it was running it was fairly smooth.

Now with v9 I can at least simplify the tape jobs yet again. I did have to switch from using BE for the tape cleaning to using my libraries cleaning functions. To be honest, I have no idea if it's even working. I haven't seen any errors or complaints, so I think it's working just fine. I should go check that.
nullifi
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Taylor

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks for the great feedback both positive and negative – it means a lot! To be honest we spent a lot of resources on major features like GFS, Parallel Processing, Unknown Medium Changer Support and reworking the Media Pools making them Global. We were even able to ‘push’ some really tiny features (like media set variables) but that was literary the last straw.

The reason it was not number one priority is simple – most of the tape devices can handle cleaning on their own either on a hardware level or thru the vendor’s software. That being said, I understand this is a bad excuse anyway and hope we will be able to support the cleaning tape handling (in scheduled or automated way) in the next version.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby monstermania » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:32 am

nullifi wrote:I did have to switch from using BE for the tape cleaning to using my libraries cleaning functions. To be honest, I have no idea if it's even working. I haven't seen any errors or complaints, so I think it's working just fine. I should go check that.

We also Switch from BE to Veeam (7).
We use the build in cleaning option of our tape library (Quantum Superloader3 with LTO5)!
The problem is that veeam (7 and 8 ) don't realize that the tape drive request a cleaning during the running tape job! If the job uses more than 1 tape, everytime the tape job fails if the drive requests a cleaning during the running job.
Example: The job loads tape 1 into drive, after 2-3 hours runtime the drive request a cleaning. Tape 1 of the job will finised. But Tape 2 of the job won't load into drive and you get an timeout error and the whole job fails! This is not so funny, if you running tape Jobs with 3 or 4 tapes and the job chrashes after 10h of runtime. Our daily tape job uses 2 tapes, the weekly 3-4.
Every 100 hours of working the tape drive request a cleaning! So only with some luck the drive needs an cleaning during the last tape of the job. Most times one of our tape Job fails.
And this Problem Exits since Veeam has added the tape option!
monstermania
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to Tape